• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Another great Ballistix deal.

The Egg has been running these rebate deals almost non stop since early May, with prices usually fluctuating during the rebate period. Near the end of the last rebate (which ended June 8th) the price started around $125 and dropped to $80 just before it expired...wonder how long they'll go this time?

The question is, of course, will the supply run out before the price drops. They are for sure trying to push these sticks out the door and at some point they will be sold out.

I think that I'll check the quantity, just for grins.

Edit:
Current quantity exceeds 99

Last edited:
I don't know anything about slick deals and "rep points". I'm guessing that the person that sniffs out and posts the deal gets points which are accumulated?

If so, what do you do with these points?

and i got these for $115 AR thinking it was the best deal ever.

g0dM@n said:
and i got these for $115 AR thinking it was the best deal ever.

I keep asking the question..."Crucial, how low can you go?"...and they keep surprising me. :D

So would I be better off getting these or the $82 G.Skill chips since they are both about the same price? I don't mind waiting on the rebate as long as it comes.

LilBuddy said:
So would I be better off getting these or the $82 G.Skill chips since they are both about the same price? I don't mind waiting on the rebate as long as it comes.
Depends on what G.Skills you're referring to.

I'd go with the 8500s... if you're comparing to 6400s... this way you're GUARANTEED 533mhz (1066 effective) at only 2.2v... and you get a free 2gb drive. :) You can use that as a boot thumb drive if you don't really need it.

Reefa_Madness said:
Do you think she'll notice the add'l 1.5GB of ram? :D
I'll be honest... I went from 1gb opteron 165 to 2gb on this 6400... I don't think the additional ram made ANY difference @ all... but def the jump in speeds did.

I still think anything over 1gb is overboard. I have yet to max out 1gb... I'm not even joking... or maybe I just never realized, but I think it's pretty obvious if you max out your ram...

Also, someone told me to set page file to 0mb if you have 2gb of ram... would that really be worth it?

LilBuddy said:
I'm talking about these G.Skills

http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231098

The price is about the same. I'm not worried about the rebate because I'm putting it on my rebate credit card. At most I'm looking at 2 months of int on $80, not a big deal. If they don't pay the rebate my CC picks up the bill 99% of the time.

The GSkills you linked, part # F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ, is a Promos chip based module which is part of GSkills "value line". That "value" term comes directly from the GSkills rep in a post he made over at XS. They are decent and some guys have been known to hit pretty good clocks with other Promos based stuff such as the HKs and even the PKs...but they are not D9s. In my opinion, they do not compare to the Ballistix 8500s.

If the Ballistix were at full price and you did not plan to do any type of overclocking, then you could perhaps argue that you don't "need" the Ballistix and go with a lower priced alternative, but that is not the case here. The Ballistix are premium sticks (at value pricing) and the NQs are not, plain and simple. Even if you don't overclock, I am quite sure that the Crucials will run the same clocks at tighter timings.

In addition, I can just about guarantee you that at some point in time if you were to sell your sticks, the Ballistix would command a much better price and sell much quicker than the Promos based NQs so in the end they would probably come out costing you less than the GSkills.

Last edited:
Back