• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Curved Monitors - Why so Pricey?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

When I look around at some UW monitors with 34" size, I see prices at 1,000$, like the Dell Alienware AW3423DWF

Why are they so pricey for their size? I like the larger size UW's I've seen that are around 40-45", they are too pricey for me for now.

That particular Alienware is an OLED panel that's why. There's plenty of $350 options that are built around cheaper panel technology.

Thanks! I sure would love to see this in Samsung's microLED tech. OLEDs are not as bright as LEDs but give a true black as they are "off" for black. Everything is a trade off.

I didn't realize OLEDS were still pricey.

True. I'd go LED if the TV was to be used outside or in really bright rooms. Otherwise you can go 1000 nits/HDR 1000 on OLEDs which looks pretty damn good.

IPS panels FTW. :)

Thanks, it's just a computer monitor. I love my current Dell in my sig file, IPS etc. But always wanted a larger monitor for my work and gaming, back then-TOO PRICEY

Thanks for the nits info, I was looking into that and I wasn't sure how many nits would be acceptable. Im always amazed at the sharp images on the TVs lately, though the signal is of course 4K or 8k maybe. It's reached a point where it looks like what's on screen is real.

I see that curved monitors are even cheaper than regular and prices for larger monitors are going down (as mentioned in this thread, 32-34" can be found for ~$300-350, and I mean like 2k-4k and up to 165hz, not budget series). I don't know the exact numbers but I feel that curved monitors are not selling well. Gaming brands make promos almost only for curved series. In the last week I was searching for a 32" for a colleague, and most available "gaming" series were curved. For me curved monitors are not bad for gaming, but not so great for work or photo editing or when you want more than one monitor. Plans are sometimes changing and when you buy one then for 2-3 monitor setup you may want to buy 2-3 new monitors instead of reusing the one you already have. It's not always because it would be a problem to work on 2-3, but curved monitors typically take much more space on the desk and if you don't have a deep one, then it can be a problem. Just some thoughts as I have a 32" MSI curved monitor and if I thought longer about the purchase, then I wouldn't buy it, even though it was on 50% sale.

Thanks! I sure would love to see this in Samsung's microLED tech. OLEDs are not as bright as LEDs but give a true black as they are "off" for black. Everything is a trade off.

I didn't realize OLEDS were still pricey.
OLEDs are cheaper now than they were, but you're still paying a pretty penny when not on sale.

I've seen 48'' OLED for under $1000 for example.

I see that curved monitors are even cheaper than regular and prices for larger monitors are going down (as mentioned in this thread, 32-34" can be found for ~$300-350, and I mean like 2k-4k and up to 165hz, not budget series). I don't know the exact numbers but I feel that curved monitors are not selling well. Gaming brands make promos almost only for curved series. In the last week I was searching for a 32" for a colleague, and most available "gaming" series were curved. For me curved monitors are not bad for gaming, but not so great for work or photo editing or when you want more than one monitor. Plans are sometimes changing and when you buy one then for 2-3 monitor setup you may want to buy 2-3 new monitors instead of reusing the one you already have. It's not always because it would be a problem to work on 2-3, but curved monitors typically take much more space on the desk and if you don't have a deep one, then it can be a problem. Just some thoughts as I have a 32" MSI curved monitor and if I thought longer about the purchase, then I wouldn't buy it, even though it was on 50% sale.

I've noticed the gaming/sale thing. I though it was just me who observed this, made me wonder. I'm not sold on curved vs a flat model like my Dell. If could put 2 of my Dells together in a single monitor, with faster refresh rates (ie more modern specs), I'd be very interested. This monitor has lasted INCREDIBLY well, not a single dead pixel across many moves even!

Why are the curved monitors not good you think for work and photo editing?? Is this why you regret the MSI monitor? I do amateur digital photography.

I was thinking one large monitor would be better than 2 monitors with their annoying bezels. I hate bezels of any sort.

OLEDs are cheaper now than they were, but you're still paying a pretty penny when not on sale.

I've seen 48'' OLED for under $1000 for example.
Hey Janus! Agreed, 48 under 1k$ now that isn't bad. Though I'd have to measure hah.

Back