• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom icons in Windows taskbar next to the Windows clock in lower right corner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
This question is for any version of Windows.
I know you can PIN icons to Task Bar.
I know you can create new sets to show up to the left of the Notification Area but:

Is there a program that can show *any* icon shortcut *inside* the Notification Area next to the clock in the lower right corner?
Not pinned to the left of it but inside the Notification Area next to the clock.

Technically any program can insert a shortcut there and then Windows can be set to show or hide it but is there a program that would allow you to insert custom icon shortcuts to show up in that Notification area and not just the select few you can choose to set in Windows properties.

NotificationBar.png

As far as I know the only way to take control of explorer in such a way you desire is to replace it with something like emerge or talisman. I used to use SharpeE, I still have the last installer, but the single dev quit and so did I. However it gave complete control of explorer's tasbar. I'm not a big fan of microsoft's gui failings either personally. I have yet to find something that can replace the tasbar. Winstep extreme maybe but it doesn't get rid of the bar and it's icon scaling leaves a lot to be desired.

It's kind of OK, I am doing the next best thing... I wanted to have the sound icon in there so I can select sound options since I have my main rig connected to my main big screen TV and my stereo as well as my computer monitor as well as small speakers right by the computer case... Here's what I did:

TaskBarSound.png

Right click > Toolbars > New toolbar > Select custom folder with icons in it. It is now directly to the left of other task bar icons...

Since every program can, if it wants to, have a Task Bar icon directly to the left of the system clock, I don't suppose it would be too hard to configure a program from scratch to just let you have custom icons there... I suppose no one has ever made it because there was no need or if they have, we don't know about it... People can also pin items to the task bar but that's not the same thing as having them directly next to the system clock.

Back