• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cyborg M.M.O. 7 flaws

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabbyjay

Hi there,

just read the review on hardwareheaven.com.

Looking at the pictures, it seems that both the "action lock"-buttons (the small orange buttons located left and right of the normal vertical scroll wheel) are not (!) customizable.
Same for the mode-switch-button on the right side of the mouse.

Have a look:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/cyborg-mmo7-mouse/software4.jpg
and
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/cyborg-mmo7-mouse/software5.jpg

Why would they make a software where only certain buttons can be customized, and some can not?

For me, the "action lock"-feature is totally useless and it would be great if I could assign any other key-strokes to these two buttons.

PS
Unfortunately, it seems there is no forum on the Mad Catz / Cyborg-Webpage.
So I can only hope the software-developers at Mad Catz realise the problem.

Don't have much experience with the MMO version but the R.A.T line are some amazing mice!

Also, it would be nice to be able to switch/change the functions of the main buttons in the software.

F.e., when my Logitech G9x was still working, I used to switch the right mouse button and the scroll-wheel-click and I found that much more comfortable when surfing the web, where you almost never use the right button, but the wheel-click is needed ALL the time!

Well, price for the mouse is $ 129.00 .

I wonder if there will be a wireless version of that mouse too, as there is for the RAT 7 (= RAT 9) ?

Welp I went and got one..
Like it a lot..
It seems a lot faster and responsive than my RAT7.
I didn't think I would take to it due to the multitude of buttons but what do you know,, I adapted..
I really like where the "precision aim" is now. I put it in good use in mw3(even though I suk)..

Also got one, but don't know what to think about it yet.

The position of that 5d-Switch (=precision aim if pressed down) somewhat troubles me.
As I use fingertip grip style, I need the tip of my thumb to hold the mouse on one side (pinky and ring fingers hold the other side).

With the 5d-button positioned in the middle of the thumb grip, the tip of my thumb alwas rests exactly on the 5d-button.
As this button can also be moved sideways and to front and back, this gives some kinda wobbly feeling. I don't really like this.

What do you think? Ur a palm gripper?

I have rather large hands and it has taken me quite some time to find a mouse to fit.
Even with everything extended, I still have somewhat of a "claw" type grip.
Like stated, I like where the precision button is now and the button on mine isn't a bit wobbly.
I also like the extra buttons on the thumb area. I use those for weapon options.
The dpi speed seems to be faster, at the same setting, on this software compared to my RAT7 software.
I'm not into mmo's yet, so I haven't any experience in this.
But the major "pro" for me on this mouse, and the other RATs, is the adjustments you can make to fit.
I made a "pinky" rest mod on my RAT7, I'll post pics later, and fit it to my MMO7..

In your first picture, the left one seems to be the original pinky rest, right?
Same as on the thirt picture.

So what did you do to the other one, you took out the part at the rear, and glued it in at a different angle?

Well, I also modifiedy my MMO 7 heavily to make it suitable for my plaing style.
Works far better now and also, the mouse is much lighter (which I prefer).

But the screw on the bottom (to adjust the Thumb piece) still gets in the way a bit.

Not sure about the 5D-Button yet. Maybe I will make it sticky, so you can only press it downwards but not up/down/left/right by placing kinda ring around it, which could also be removable, should I need the other directions one day.

I heated it up and molded it with some pliers. No cutting or glue..
Yes, the one on the left is stock.
Now I can lay my pinky somewhat flat.

What did you do to yours?

Heating and molding it is actually a pretty good idea.
I never thought of that before... :eek:

Well, I did quite a lot, but I am not finished yet.

So far, as I use a fingertip-grip style, I made the hole mouse shorter and more narrow and lighter. This way, the back of the mouse won't touch your palm, which restricts movment when using fingertip-grip.
I modified the thumb piece a bit, so that it can be more adjusted, and made it shorter.
I took off all the weights and removable parts, and then cut of both the metal bar which holds the weights and the orange slider for the palm rests.
At the front, I used a dremel to grind of the front part of the metal base, which comes up on the right side, next to the mode-switch-button, so now that annoying edge on it is gone and it reduced weight as well.
To further reduce weight, I might grind off the metal part on the front left side as well.
Next, I made the action-lock-buttons shorter, so I don't accidently press them.
Remember, in Fingertip Grip your fingers don't lie flat on the mouse, they are formed as a claw and this way the tips rest more at the middle of the buttons, wich is exactly where the action-lock-buttons are.
Maybe I will extend the main buttons over that freed space later.

Regards.

"Next, I made the action-lock-buttons shorter, so I don't accidently press them"
How did you do this?

Just sanded them down a bit.
If you take the mouse apart, you can take these buttons out seperately.
But there's not much room for corrections, since the little plastic needle at the front is what keeps them from wobbling around. So I sanded off as much as possible and then made the surface decline from back to front a little bit.

There might be a better sulution though, any ideas?

Not to sound rude, but using this mouse with a finger tip grip seems like a waste maybe?

Only because of the way you hold the mouse you have just your middle and forefinger to click buttons, correct? Since youre gripping the mouse with the thumb and pinky. Do you actually get use out of all of those thumb buttons? Again not trying to be rude, just curious. :)

And as for cretain buttons not being programable thats most likely so that people cant change them and "take away" from the mouses intended features (ie: dpi on the fly, action lock, mode switch, ect).Like on my g9 i'd never change the dpi switching puttons, I use them too much :p

@ Prime:
I thought that question would come up eventually. :)

I decided to use the MMO 7 as the base for my mod for 2 reasons:

First, it has these two extra buttons at the top.
Only, I didn't know that they are not remappable at that time.
What a shame, hope they will include it in the software soon.

And yes, it definitely makes sense to have all (!) buttons remappable. The only reason many people don't do this on many mouses is that it's just not possible. For example, before I had a G9x and used to remap the DPI-Switch-Button on the top side to change tabs in Chrome. It made surfing the web so much more comfortable!

Anyway, second reason is that this mouse has so many buttons. There are one or two other mices with that many buttons, but they are not practical for fingertip-Grip due to their design. The MMO 7 is the only one where you can use several thumb-Buttons in figertip-Grip.

There are some limit's, however, as you can't touch all buttons without shifting your thumb, but it is possible to use three or four of them using the side parts of your thumb without having to lift it off!

Regards.

Just wanted to let you all know that the newest version of the software now allows for all but the "pinky" button to be programmed as you see fit. To be clear, the "lock" buttons that were one of the features that made it a love it or leave it for some, are now customizable.

BoooYaaahh

Back