• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 HEAT PROFILE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
hi guys,

so I am again eager to make another water cooling system.

since DDR3, it became pointless to water cool RAM.

can anyone confirm me this remains the same for DDR4?

I would think so, given the voltage required all seemed lower.
but I never tested a x99 platform, so will need a confirmation from someone that has.

anyone? :)

can almost guarantee it will be even less worthwhile than cooling DDR3 with water per your exact reasoning (less voltage required)

Half the point of the DDR4 spec is a 1.2v base voltage and low power consumption, so if anything it'll be even more pointless to WC it.

thanks, this is good to know, less parts for me to use, less work. :)

Go to newegg and look at memory sticks. You will find of the DDR3 sticks do not even have heatsinks at all. More of the 1.35v sticks lack heasinks, and by the time you get to DDR4, maybe half lack heatsinks. Thank 1.2v for this.

I would imagine though that even with the low voltage requirements, some sticks will likely need heat-spreaders.

For instance really high-clocked stock ones, or those that are greatly overclocked with higher than normal voltage.

Need? Doubtful. Have them on there, of course. For example, remember the Samsung 1.35v bare sticks we reviewed? We had them to 1.65v+ iirc and they weren't even warm to the touch. ;)

Back