• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 prices?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Did I miss something on the DDR4 price hike? Was looking over everything on the egg, and even the ram I bought for my build last year is now double the price. They don't have a single 2x8gb DDR4 3000 kit under $109.99 now, there used to be a bunch in the $60-$70 range.
Just wondering what caused the large price increase?

Yeah I was looking at some DDR4 3200 for an upgrade and it's about doubled in price too :rolleyes: Not sure what caused the price hike.

Yeah I was looking at some DDR4 3200 for an upgrade and it's about doubled in price too :rolleyes: Not sure what caused the price hike.

I'm looking at a new build just to build something, and I was going to use my current 2x8gb DDR4 3000 for that and get some 2x16gb DDR4 3200 for my gaming rig. After seeing the prices, that idea is out!

I'm looking at a new build just to build something, and I was going to use my current 2x8gb DDR4 3000 for that and get some 2x16gb DDR4 3200 for my gaming rig. After seeing the prices, that idea is out!

Dang that sux. Blew the air right out of your sails eh? Well don't give up hope yet, something's gotta drop those prices soon!

DDR3 prices have gone up just as much too. Memory prices go up and down a lot, never really looked into why.

Flash based memory prices will be going up this year. DRAM and SSDs will be heavily affected.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3975215-shortage-nand-flash-memory-coming-soon-caused-will-impact

EEtimes did a bit but I could only find a market analyst piece. Truth is companies are banking on 3D Flash (stacked memory) and have slowed production in 2D Flash. Also there was a bit of a loss in the market as far as buyers but that's predicted to increase as the industry gets ready for new generations of x86 CPUs in both Consumer and Commercial sectors.

Funny thing about this. I'm sure Dolk is right, but it was August/September when prices started climbing... Like every retailer was thinking...

"Ohhhhh Xmas time. Gotta jack up some prices..."

I doubt they are in cahoots with each other...

Now if you 'scuse me, I need to fix my tinfoil hat [emoji14]

Lol..who knows.. when there isn't an IC shortage of whatever caused it. It's been this way since late last year.

Lol..who knows.. when there isn't an IC shortage of whatever caused it. It's been this way since late last year.
Xmas time! It's a conspiracy!

It was probably just a coincidence, might be because the market is split between DDR3 and DDR4 still. That's the only legit reason I can figure atleast.

When are DDR4 prices coming back down?

Like ED said, it will probably be some time. Manufactures like Samsung and Micron are trying to move quickly into 3D stacking and transition some of their older 2D Flash and NAND labs into 3D. This is a good thing for the industry for the SSD side, but lack of Flash for DDR4 will keep the market at it's current rate. But hey, if they are still making ~$100 a kit I'd just set prices and let the money roll in.

Back