• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dedicated VS shared PhysX comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAHALLEN

Hey guys, I've seen this question come up a lot, so I included a little examination in my last artilce I thought many of you would be interested in.

MIAHALLEN said:
During testing, I became pretty curious about PhysX performance with dedicated versus shared PhysX processing. I was testing two games which utilize the technology, Mafia II and Metro 2033. I’ve read a lot of questions about PhysX, and many center around the debate concerning dedicated PhysX. So I decided to do a little extra bit of testing on this.

Dedicated vs Shared PhysX Processing:

PhysX comparison - minimum FPS

PhysX comparison - average FPS

As you can see here, with three GPUs in use, the two games behave completely differently. Mafia II seems to have very heavy usage on the dedicated PhysX GPU, where Metro uses a dedicated GPU very little. Since Metro is so heavily GPU bound, the loss of a card dedicated for PhysX really hinders performance. Mafia II on the other hand gets a very nice performance boost when one of the three GPUs is dedicated for PhysX processing.

When dropping the system to only two GPUs, the Mafia II runs just as well with the dedicated card as it does with the PhysX shared. But again, since Metro uses so little PhysX, the loss of an entire GPU for the job really hurts performance.

Our conclusion on this subject is that not all games with PhysX are equal. I would submit to Nvidia that they need to implement the PhysX configuration into the application profile area. If I were running a triple card setup, I would want PhysX shared for most stuff, but dedicated for games like Mafia II which need the extra PhysX power. Manually changing it each time is tedious at best.

You can view the rest of the article here.

Last edited:
Is the dedicated physx option just for extra frames, or does it make the games look better too?

Just wondering if those results are apples to apples.

Visual quality/complexity is no different....it is apples to apples :thup:

Back