• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 8200 Processor Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PARADOX-RED

I have a stock Dell Dimension 8200 with a 1.8 GHz Pentium IV Microprocessor. I am also running 1 GB of RDRAM. Does anyone have any experience with upgrading this Microprocessor? What is the maximum CPU that this Motherboard will accept? Has anyone successfully done this, and if so, what if any problems were experienced? Thank you.

Welcome to the forums :)

We'll need a little more info about your system first. Download and run CPU-Z: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php.

On the CPU tab we'll need to know:
- Code Name:
- Package:
- Voltage:
- FSB:

On the Mainboard tab we'll need to know:
- Chipset:

(Or just post screen shots of both tabs).

Dell 8200 Microprocessor

Thanks and a tip of the hat to fhanderson and JCLW!!

I checked further and I have the 850 Chipset with a 400 FSB. Looks like a 2.8 GHz. for me!

Thanks again! :burn:

Red, in my opinion, the easiest way to get some more speed, is to dump the Dull mobo. Look for a good used Abit TH711 board, since it will use the same CPU and memory. I've seen 1,8A chips get up to 2.5, on that board.

If you are careful, you can find a used TH711 on Ebay. Make SURE that you get a TH711, NOT a TH7. The TH7 is a socket 423 board, and will NOT hold a socket 478 CPU

You will probably be able to find a board for about $50, or so.

steve

A new motherboard would mean he would also need a new case and power supply.

JCLW said:
A new motherboard would mean he would also need a new case and power supply.

LoL, what are you talking about? Is Dell's stuff that incompatible? If so that is just insane.

The powersupply will work in a different case, but its only a 250W. The motherboard is a cross between ATX and MATX with a proprietary front control panel connection. The front controls, USB, etc hookup to the motherboard with an IDE type ribbon.

The PSU might work. Some Dell PSUs are different, as well, they have a different pinout on the 20 pin plug.

BUT, look at it this way, he's losing a Dull, and getting a REAL computer.

steve

If you're not going to overclock then Dell makes perfectly suitable computers, IMHO their motherboards are second only to intel. With the exception of one Toshiba laptop our entire office is Dell, and it's all well engineered stuff.

JCLW said:
If you're not going to overclock then Dell makes perfectly suitable computers, IMHO their motherboards are second only to intel. With the exception of one Toshiba laptop our entire office is Dell, and it's all well engineered stuff.

Not trying to be argumentative, but if you're not going to overclock, what are you doing here at Overclockers Forum? :D

steve

Back