• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Precision needs 2 PSU's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

damarble

This is an odd one for me. I got a Precision 530 mobo, 2x 1.7 Xeons, 256mb RDRAM and the 2x VRM's. The Dell mobo has 2 PSU connectors, 1 20 pin and 1 24 pin. I pulled the PSU (20 pin with a 24 pin adapter) from my 1.8 Xeon Tyan rig to test it out. I can't get a post with either connector. Actually I can't even get the PSU to turn on. No LED's come on when I plug in the PSU.

One more thing I can think of is maybe the Dell needs a CPU fan plugged in? It's a weird 3 pin connector that my 3 pin fans dont fit. I could cut back the socket but I'm still thinking about a possible RMA.

It's hard to find info about these things. Dell seems to want keep the specs hidden.

Edit- It seems these mobo's take a specific Dell PSU. :bang head Sound right?

Last edited:
Yes, I believe Dell uses proprietary power supplies. You may be able to find one on eBay.

damarble said:
Edit- It seems these mobo's take a specific Dell PSU. :bang head Sound right?

Yes, and whatever you do, DO NOT plug in a regular atx psu, you run the risk of frying your motherboard. Have had recent experience with Dell psu issues. :rolleyes:

btw, I have one of those Dell 530's...when the psu dies I'll be looking on ebay for a used psu.

ihrsetrdr said:
Yes, and whatever you do, DO NOT plug in a regular atx psu, you run the risk of frying your motherboard.

:bang head Too late. I fried a PSU already, lost it's magic smoke. At least it was a crappy old one, not my Tyan's Fortron. I hope the board is still OK.

There is a guy on ebay selling Precision 530 PSU's for $30 shipped right now and I just got one.

I knew I shouldnt have bit on a Dell. :bang head But $18 for a brand new dual proc mobo sounded too good.

Last edited:
damarble said:
:bang head Too late. I fried a PSU already, lost it's magic smoke. At least it was a crappy old one, not my Tyan's Fortron. I hope the board is still OK.

There is a guy on ebay selling Precision 530 PSU's for $30 shipped right now and I just got one.

I knew I shouldnt have bit on a Dell. :bang head But $18 for a brand new dual proc mobo sounded too good.

wow great deal..even since you had to get a new PSU

Back