• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DELL support staff doesn't speak English ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Amarkarian said:
wow i think im going to kill my self
I will if I ever have to call Dell. Did I mention the one time my friend's dad (the friend I'm talking about is a hot chick btw :p) deleted a 50-something page story she had written b/c some Dell-tard told him to reformat the comp (after waiting on hold for 30 minutes)? Yeah... Only one of the many reasons I recommend people let me build them a comp instead of going through Dell.

^^^^^^ yeah dell's tech support is riduculas, my firends computer was broken so his parents called and without telling them they would lose everything they made them reformat.

hoho220 said:
Dealing with dell tech support has always been a hair pulling experience for me. I consider myself to be a very patient person but dell tech support is trying to say the least...
Oh yeah. About a year or so ago, my laptop's hard drive began to die. I initiated a help ticket via email so I could keep track of the insanity. It went something like this: Reinstall Windows, reformat hard drive, reinstall Windows. Almost a month after I opened the ticket (and just before my old one bit the dust for the final time), I got a new drive in the mail.

Another time I had to contact support for my dad's ISP, as their mailserver would not let me send email (even when I was using the account I had with the ISP to do it) using my dad's network. The tech spoke fairly good English, so that wasn't a problem, but after a few minutes it was clear that my problem was way outside the scope of any script. The 'solution' (since for some reason I could send mail using Outlook; any other browser I got a "relaying denied" error) was to nuke Firefox completely and use IE. I knew that it had been working before, and had proof from someone on another forum that they had changed something serverside that would cause my problem. I said I would try something to fix it, ended the call politely and threw a pillow at the wall (my dad then said I "wasn't patient enough"...at least I was polite and didn't start abusing the tech like I hear people tend to do).

A Compaq tech told a good friend of mine to reformat her PC for an internet access problem. Luckily she figured that to be BS almost immediately and waited to ask me.

I don't fault the technicians, I fault the companies that don't pay them and don't train them.

Last edited:
if i pay for something that includeds customer service i expect the rep to speak my language (unless i imported the product or soemthing).

this doesn't mean the people know thier stuff or not, but if they can't tell it to me it doesn't matter.

personally i'd be willing to pay more for a product that kept jobs in america over someone that outsourced. i'm sure many people would too if the companies woudl advertise this. it could become a large selling point.

Before i get in to it i will say this...the other day i called Gigabyte and holy cow were they great. I didn't have ANY waiting time and i called at like Noon on a weekday. Not only that (i can't remember if they were "american" or not) but i could understand them great and they helped me solve my problem with out making me feel like i don't know anything....with that said:

i fully agree with what everyone says. But i will say this, i am going to college right now and trying to get a degree in a computer science field. With that said i have met a LOT of people who are from aisa mostly Japan and India and the outlying area. With that said i will make the point that even though they are trying so hard to make it in America, if you ask me it isn't like we are making it ANY easer on them. We don't have any other lang other then spanish and english on anything, so they may have a few problems there. But i degress, The point i am going to make is this:

Don't get mad at the people becasue they can't speek english, get mad at the company (and i would say every one here is making that point). Just remember when you hang up the phone and do what you want to, they too go home to their family.

I just feel that now-a-days people are too quick to judge everyone as a group and not as the individual...i.e. race hate and such. So please be kind and keep an open mind.

ticktock123 said:
i fully agree with what everyone says. But i will say this, i am going to college right now and trying to get a degree in a computer science field. With that said i have met a LOT of people who are from aisa mostly Japan and India and the outlying area. With that said i will make the point that even though they are trying so hard to make it in America, if you ask me it isn't like we are making it ANY easer on them.

Don't get mad at the people becasue they can't speek english, get mad at the company (and i would say every one here is making that point). Just remember when you hang up the phone and do what you want to, they too go home to their family.
^^^^^ That's what my dad can't seem to understand. I need to remind him when he gets on the phone to support to not blow up at the tech. I try to be as polite as I can and always thank them for their help even if I don't agree with the proposed solution. Who knows, I may be the only caller in their queue who doesn't abuse them.

It seems that since Japan has a reputation for good study ethics, the assumption is that students will retain that here. IMO, we (both schools and employers) do tend to make it difficult for anyone who has a less than flawless grasp of English.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, since English is how the majority of people in the United States communicates, and it is rather difficult to communicate with people who don't speak the same language as you. I expect coworkers to speak english at a reasonable level. Also, I'm sure it's very annoying for professors (or TAs) to have to read essays written with poor grammer and spelling.

And really, if you're in the United States as a student for a career and you're not a native english speaker, becoming as close to one as possible should be a primary goal. Who as an employer wants to interview someone who cannot speak english at an easily understandable level?

Good point CKJ. But you forgot about all those people who arn't in America that "should" speak english because "we" do. My best friend was an exchange student a few years ago from germany. I have never met a man that could speak english so we, i asked him a few times how to spell words and he always knew.

On a flips side point to CKJ's comment about the Prof and TA's and what they would have to go though...what about the student/class that is all native english speakers and the PROF is the one from the other country. I have had this a bunch of different times. I find it hard to follow them some times but they always know what they are talking about...just thought i would shoot out a few ideas seeing if anyone had any comments on them.

my whole family parents and above are immigrants, i'm used to hearing english spoken with accents.

i've chatted via phone and online(when its working or the option is available) with dell tech support. as per my first statement, i've never had any issues, the techs in india have spoken better english(grammar wise) than people i go to school with, their pronunciation may not be 100% but grammar wise, the could write a novel.

if you ever chat online with dell tech support you would never know there weren't native english speakers, again, their written grammar and spelling is 100%.

lately i've been troubleshooting and repairing so many pc's, hp/compaq has the best customer service of the two.

its easy to get hp/compaq online and they are extremely helpful. dell on the other hand has issues from what i've seen.

aol also has their customer support based in india as well. for those of you who have issues with dell support via phone, try their online method, you'll never know the difference.

lordkosc said:
We need to bring support back to America! Where English is spoken by all...
Out-sourced/countried support "individuals" will do it for a couple bucks a day, whereas there is probably just a handful of Techies in the U.S. who will do it for no less than $10/hr.

Bunch'a conceited eff-ers we are, 'eh? ;)

MonroeM said:
Out-sourced/countried support "individuals" will do it for a couple bucks a day, whereas there is probably just a handful of Techies in the U.S. who will do it for no less than $10/hr.

Bunch'a conceited eff-ers we are, 'eh? ;)

Wrong. Cost of living here in the states is that much higher.

Pinky said:
Wrong. Cost of living here in the states is that much higher.

So true, and a darn good point Mr. Pinky. That is where people are missing the point. To make it a bit easer to understand look at it this way. Back in the 1900's a full thing of bread was only a few pennies where as today it is like 2.55. So if you think about it that way only getting paid like a few dollars a day when you only have to buy things that are a few cents is THE SAME as getting paid a few 100 dollars when things are a few bucks. That is why when an American goes to X country they are able to buy SO much more but in america they can't get a tank of gas.

The cost of living my friends, it is a pain but we have to live by it.

^^ not that much of a paon - i live in Costa Rica and get paid in US - daily my $1 is worth more locally due to a dropping colon' right now 500 colones = $1 US - 3 years ago $1US = 348 colones :)

but i still manage to spend my money because some places crank up prices - foreign imports cost about 3x as much as local equivilents etc.

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^ not that much of a paon - i live in Costa Rica and get paid in US - daily my $1 is worth more locally due to a dropping colon' right now 500 colones = $1 US - 3 years ago $1US = 348 colones :)

but i still manage to spend my money because some places crank up prices - foreign imports cost about 3x as much as local equivilents etc.

fortunately for you, you live in the most stable country in the latin america's. in mexico they do this devaluation thing that only benefits the rich and ruins the poor even more. it seems to happen with every new presidential administration. a taco in east los angeles is 1.50(us) at king taco. in guadalajara its 1.75(us). for the most part mexico is no longer the bargain it used to be. even the border(tijuana) is extremely expensive, it costs more to club over there then here.

i've only seen costa rica in documentaries but what a beautiful country, las cascadas y lagos. they are almost as beautiful as the women :)

as american's were always looking for the cheapest price for our good, manufacturing is moving to china at lightning speeds and customer support seems to be going to india.

example 1: computer a - $700 with u.s. tech support
example 2: computer a - $500 with tech support from india

most will choose example 2 to save $200. i'm not saying that its the correct scale per % of savings but we get what we ask for.

i wonder how japan is going to deal with all their manufacturing going to china as well?

Last edited:
dell home support was rated worst in the nation by consumer reports.

gateway has been the best ive ever used. one time my 19" sony monitor from them went out and made a beeping noise, the guy couldnt hear the beeping noise through the phone but still shipped me a new $600 19" sony trinitron monitor :D. second time, i couldnt get through at dell while helping a friend with a dell computer, so i called gateway support and they fixed the dell's problem lol

David Coleman said:
The US dell workers arent unionized either. We watched a video on how unions are bad and steal your money during orientation.

You got a video on it? We didn't. We just got told (and maybe got a piece of paper saying) that unions are bad and Dell won't support a union. It was sort of implied between the lines that if you went around trying to get one started it would be a serious CLM (career limiting move).

Back