• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED DELL U2711 limited to 1080 with hdmi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
this rig is sucking dog unstuffings through a 2x4, and that's some big time sucking!!!!

here's the issue, I am having a screen freeze every time I load a gpu, game, bench, whatever I load the gpu with
it's not the whole screen, only above the taskbar black screens, I can still see the task bar and can click stuff on the task bar but if it has to display above it I can either not see it or it does not work, eg; I invoke task manager, select the bench process, select end process, the end process dialog opens because it shows in the taskbar but it is hidden behind the black screen and the task manager is still on top.
click start button, menu appears, select shut down, it just sits open on top of the black screen, press window button, select shut down and it shuts right down.

asrock extreme 9, have swapped in my other board and processor, no effect.
cpu, 4790K, swapped it with the other motherboard.
gpu's I have swapped in and no effect.
asus 980ti in sli, both cards in single.
970's in sli and in single,
770 4 gig cards, in sli and single.
760 2 gig cards in sli and single
760 4 gig cards in sli and in single
280x cards in xfire and single
my ever trusty 7850
my never, ever going to get rid of 5450.
many many video drivers, I use ddu in safe mode.
2 new and three known good psu's 850 watt and above, good quality psu's.
2 fresh installs of win 7.
2 known good and 2 new ssd'd
all new sata cables
all psu cables that came with each psu.

any ideas before I throw all this stuff and/or myself into the wood chipper??????

Last edited:
So you swapped all that stuff in and it's still doing it? Monitor or Cable going to monitor?

Clear CMOS ? Reflash BIOS? Long format drives (diskpart -> list disk -> select disk x -> clean all) ? Best I got man, and if they're gonna hit the chipper, send them my way first. If they dont behave for me I promise to build a rocket to shoot them as close to the sun as I can get! :)

heading to storage for another monitor and some cables, had not thought about those.

using a displayport cable it's all fine.

this is really strange.
I can't run 1440, hdmi on this monitor, I have to run displayport to get 1440????
I can only run up to 1080p, hdmi on this monitor, this is the first time I have tried hdmi on this monitor, if the bench or game or driver is set to 1440 with hdmi it all locks up, if it's all set to 1080 it's all good, but I have a 1440p monitor to run at 1440p, not 1080p
I guess I'm going to have to send back the hdmi kvm and cables and reorder displayport
or is my sweet, much loved monitor on it's way out????

Last edited:
using a displayport cable it's all fine.

this is really strange.
I can't run 1440, hdmi on this monitor, I have to run displayport to get 1440????
I can only run up to 1080p, hdmi on this monitor, this is the first time I have tried hdmi on this monitor, if the bench or game or driver is set to 1440 with hdmi it all locks up, if it's all set to 1080 it's all good, but I have a 1440p monitor to run at 1440p, not 1080p
I guess I'm going to have to send back the hdmi kvm and cables and reorder displayport
or is my sweet, much loved monitor on it's way out????
No clue CD, I've only run 1080p. Where's Atminside when you need him?

You mention a KVM, have you tried HDMI without the KVM in the middle?

yes, I never installed the kvm, I build and test without the other stuff first.

What HDMI cable are you using? Is it version 1.3 compliant?

This is the first thing I found at Microcenter, I would try another cable that's known to be 1.3 or higher.

Attachments

• 1449407662106.jpg
    1449407662106.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 26
well, ATM, I think with what I have learned going through this mess is that I don't really game at 1440, it's mostly 1080p made to fit a1440p monitor.
wouldn't I be better served getting some high quality 1080p monitors that support hdmi native and add this sweet monitor to the new autodesk rig I am going to assemble tomorrow?

You could absolutely do that. The Autodesk rig would absolutely benefit from the extra resolution.

Back