• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D NF4 Power Off issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nkerkin

Hi, Trying to revive an old DFI Lanparty Ultra-D NF4. System posts and boots without issue but powers-off instantly after about 20 mins (regardless of booting into windows or watching temps/voltages in bios). It then fails to power-up for more than a couple of seconds unless I leave it alone for a few hours.

Have tried the following with no change in behaviour:
(All components have been tested and work on another motherboard)

-clearing CMOS (removing battery, changing jumper pins, safe boot on JP1, etc)
-reseated power connectors (all four)
-reseated components (ram, video card, cpu)
-PSUs (Enermax 535w, Corsair vx450)
-RAM (OCZ Performance, OCZ Platinum), tried different slots, tried one stick closest to cpu. Haven't bothered with memtest
-CPU (AMD 64 3000+, AMD 64 X2 4200+)
-GPU (MSI R4350, sapphire x800 gto2, none at all)
-HD on different sata
-replaced NB HSF with noctua nc-u6 which gets warm (not hot)
-tried in and out of case so no risers to cause shorts

Watching PC Health Status in BIOS
- CPU and PSU fans spinning and reporting
- No abnormal temps (< 30c)
- No voltage drops/spikes before powerdown

I've visually checked all the capacitors on the board which (to my untrained eye) look ok. No bulging, no popped tops, no leaking, none bent over. Although I *think* I can detect a very faint smell when the board is running. Going by this it seems like a capacitor issue.

Would love to hear any feedback.

:welcome: to OCF!

There are a couple of things that come to mind for further testing, though you may have already covered those and not mentioned them.

Inspect all the slots and sockets, both used and unused, for foreign objects. On something that old even a dust bunny, if it's damp enough from humidity, could cause a short. Don't forget the rear I/O sockets.

I assume you've tried both PCIe slots and at least one PCI slot for video?

Those are possible problems but overall I'd agree with your assessment ...

Thanks for the reply QuietIce.

You're right the board is pretty dusty, so i was going to get a can of compressed air and do a thorough clean.

I stumbled upon this post and lo and behold setting "Halt On" to "No Errors" seems to have resolved most of my issues. Still have the occasional cold-boot issue, so it doesn't seem to be 100% perfect.

This will be a 24/7 machine soon so it won't bother me too much. Hope this helps anyone with similar problem.

Back