• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I kill my HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grendel0501

About 6 months ago I purchased a 8tb drive for media.
While transferring files between one computer to another the network froze up and the drive got stuck.
During the next reboot I noticed the diskcheck taking along time, and then suggesting a scan/repair.
After 3 fulls scan repair on boot the drive still freezes up, and sometimes disappears completely from file explorer/task manager.

I tried a fast format, and for afew days it worked fine, but now is having issues again.

I also tried running Seagate's Seatools both the long and quick fixes failed.

Is my drive done? Is there anyway to save it?

What operating system are you using? If your rig is still what's listed in your sig, I'm guessing Winderz 95. Which means DeFrag....

Try a different SATA port, then another cable, then another SATA power connector. If those fail try another PC. If that fails it's likely going to be RMA time.

Its windows 10, 64bit.

Try a different SATA port, then another cable, then another SATA power connector. If those fail try another PC. If that fails it's likely going to be RMA time.

I mean I have the parts to do this, but what good is getting it to work on another pc, if I want to fix it on this one?

Is the scan/repair of bad sectors going to work better on older computer?!? *confused*

From an elevated command prompt or PowerShell with admin privileges, run: chkdsk /f /r.

On a disk that size with an old, slow CPU it will take many hours to complete.

From an elevated command prompt or PowerShell with admin privileges, run: chkdsk /f /r.

On a disk that size with an old, slow CPU it will take many hours to complete.

Everytime I ran it on boot it took 20 minutes or so... and thats with my current 9700k rig. :(

I'm trying to run the elevated chkdsk E: /f /r now... Not sure if it is going to be any different than the chkdsk on boot.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Current estimated ETA on the chkdsk, 999:00:00.

Doesn't look like chkdsk is going to be able to save it... looks like my only option is the RMA.

Its windows 10, 64bit.

I mean I have the parts to do this, but what good is getting it to work on another pc, if I want to fix it on this one?

Is the scan/repair of bad sectors going to work better on older computer?!? *confused*
It's not about getting it to work with another PC and leave it there. It is about troubleshooting it to make sure it is the drive and not something else. Especially since you're 6 months in you will likely be getting a refurb and who knows the life it's lead up until now compared to yous.

CrystalDiskInfo is freeware that presents a SMART report but is not tied to any specific drive manufacturer. It is generic. It lists the individual SMART parameter values but also gives a graphical report with colors (blue for healthy; yellow for problems). It reports every drive connected to the system and can be configured to load at startup, to give audible warnings of pending drive failure and even to send you an email if there are warnings. It's probably more useful with platter based drives that flash storage since flash storage tends to fail suddenly without warning.

Well its not exactly easy to work with this drive, it stays present for about the first 10 minutes of a boot, then disappears or becomes inaccessible.
And while it is attached every boot takes 10-15 minutes because the disk check at the beginning freezes up and takes awhile to suggest checkdisk.

I went ahead and setup a RMA, and they are pre-shipping my replacement now.
I hope its not a refurb, but it probably is...

Definitely sounds like a bad disk to me. I hope the replacement doesn't have the same issue. Over the years, different HD manufactures have turned out bad batches of disks. Usually, it's a firmware issue.

I was assuming I killed it, since the transfer froze and then I reset the pc instead of being patient and waiting for it to resume.

Never had any issues with it until then.

As Taco said, that should harm a drive. It's more than likely coincidence. The transfer probably froze because the disk quit.

Back