• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between these 2 flat panels?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawkins

Hey all, Im going to order a Dell Ultrasharp 17" flat panel tonight, but they have 2 that seem to be the same but for 2 different prices! so I need your help to figure out the differences.

Panel #1
and
Panel #2

The only differences I can see are the contrast ratios. Panel #1 has a 500:1 and Panel #2 has a 1000:1. What does this mean?
The viewing angles are different too.
Panel #1 has 16.2 million colors and #2 has 16.7 Mill.

So from looking at the specs, I just realized that I should probably spend the extra $28.15 and get panel #2. Agreed?

Thanks everyone!

the higher the contrast ratio the crisp-er the picture will be. I would go ahead and get the second one if that matters to you.

shawkins said:
Hey all, Im going to order a Dell Ultrasharp 17" flat panel tonight, but they have 2 that seem to be the same but for 2 different prices! so I need your help to figure out the differences.

Panel #1
and
Panel #2

The only differences I can see are the contrast ratios. Panel #1 has a 500:1 and Panel #2 has a 1000:1. What does this mean?
The viewing angles are different too.
Panel #1 has 16.2 million colors and #2 has 16.7 Mill.

So from looking at the specs, I just realized that I should probably spend the extra $28.15 and get panel #2. Agreed?

Thanks everyone!

No offense, but I'm not fond of either one of these panels. The first one is 6-bit, but the second 8-bit panel has a 25ms response time. Assuming that you will do some gaming, I would not recommend either of these units.

Assuming that you're looking to spend less than $300, my suggestion goes toward the Viewsonic VX924, which is ~ $275 at the moment. It is a 6-bit panel, but it does have a pretty good picture and is more than sufficient for today's games.

If gaming is not of your primary concern, please say so and we can exercise more options.

deception``

I should have went through and looked at the specs, I didn't notice that they were 25ms response time monitors. If that is so, then I personally would not recommend either of them unless it is only used to surf the web or something similar. If it is going to be used for gaming, then I would look at getting a monitor with 12ms or lower response time from a reputable brand (viewsonic, samsung, etc).

i used to game on a 17 inch LCD with 50ms response time. it was from a company i have never heard of called viewmagic (my dad got it a few yrears ago). i have never seen any ghosting or lagging of any kind on that monitor.
if i can game on a 50ms monitor i can certainly game on a 25ms one.

too bad it stopped working one day.

Back