• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Differences between these HDD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgoodkat

Hey that's my review in the ES link! Neat. I haven't tried the 320gb drive you're talking about (read the reviews for it when buying recently as I was deciding on a purchase) so I can't comment, but I have 2 of the 250gb ES drives and one of the 250gb non-ES models and they're both great. The ES ones supposedly have longer running life for server/network storage use. Other than that they're really not much different in tests. As I tend to abuse my drives via torrenting/transcoding and I run my system almost constantly I thought the extra $10 was an investment (note: this isn't totally true: The first ES drive was purchased by accident as I was finishing the remainder of a decent 2001 Legaris that night while ordering). For non-raided 7200rpm drives, they're both very fast models though.

If you want to save 10bux, then the vanilla 250gb model would be great. If you want (potentially) longer running-life then grab the ES model. If you want more space then try the 320. It'll probably work fine, and if not you could always RMA it. I think alot of the returned drives to Newegg are from people who had them shipped alone. Whenever I get drives from there I try to buy a few other small parts or fans as well just to ensure that I get a bigger box with more packing material. Not sure if it helps, but it makes me feel better about it. [/rambling anecdote]

Back