• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Distilled water/ de-ionized

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dangerouSoul

Hi guys, on my country i´m struggling a bit because of distilled water, i managed to buy alphacool ultra pure 5L from germany =(. It is expensive 40€. So i would like to know what you think about desmineralized distilled water, Purified water, de-ionized water. Whick one is the safest for watercooling? I search on google and some say desmineralized, others say to flush the rads and system with de-ionized but it isn´t recommended.
What do do guys think?

PS: I CAN BUY PURIFIED WATER, DESMINERALIZED AND DE-IONIZED AT LOW COST 2€ 5L.

Distilled water is about as purified as you can get. That being said, once exposed to air, it can go "bad", in the sense that it can grow algae and bacteria. It's safe enough for a water cooling setup, but you should try to use some kind of biocide to help prevent bacteria and algae. Plenty on this forum have used distilled water with some biocide for months (years) at a time without ever needing to drain and clean out a water loop.

Sorry, as i was telling, there's distilled water in PT for cheap prices, he's just not looking in the right places. Hardware stores, car parts stores even supermarkets have it.

Distilled water is about as purified as you can get. That being said, once exposed to air, it can go "bad", in the sense that it can grow algae and bacteria. It's safe enough for a water cooling setup, but you should try to use some kind of biocide to help prevent bacteria and algae. Plenty on this forum have used distilled water with some biocide for months (years) at a time without ever needing to drain and clean out a water loop.

Yeah I know that bro, I can use pt nuke or something like that, but I will not use distilled, I will use ek cryofuel navy blue. I just wanted to know which type of distilled water I could use to flush/rinse the radiator and system, only to clean it and leak testing. Then I will drain it and fill it with ek cryofuel. I bought purified water on the pharmacy. Is that good enough?

Still not clear on the answer here or maybe its a different question, but.....

Should RO water be used? Can DI water be used? There is a distinct difference. I have a Reef tank and have a filter system that allows me to produce either. DI can pull minerals out of organics. Can it do the same with the metallic parts of the system? Damage solder joints? Cause rapid oxidation of metals?

The question was about using these waters for rinsing and flushing. The answer is yes, all of the above can be used for this.

As for a coolant, we generally recommend distilled water as it is readily available here in the US. Some form of biocide needs to be added too. In some countries it is easier to get DI water and that is perfectly acceptable as well. I don't know of anyone running a RO system in their custom loop and wonder if this process would also "filter" out any biocides or anti-corrosive additives. You have piqued my curiosity though.

EDIT: Here's a very good read, a bit older but the science hasn't changed. Thanks for asking this question as I was unaway of the DI and RO processes.

Last edited:
The question was about using these waters for rinsing and flushing. The answer is yes, all of the above can be used for this.

As for a coolant, we generally recommend distilled water as it is readily available here in the US. Some form of biocide needs to be added too. In some countries it is easier to get DI water and that is perfectly acceptable as well. I don't know of anyone running a RO system in their custom loop and wonder if this process would also "filter" out any biocides or anti-corrosive additives. You have piqued my curiosity though.

EDIT: Here's a very good read, a bit older but the science hasn't changed. Thanks for asking this question as I was unaway of the DI and RO processes.

i use reverse osmosis water from my sink to top my loop off.

I that reverse osmosis only Wage, or RO with de-ionization after? I would be a little concerned about RO only.

Back