• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY watercooling (Final)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WOW that looks really really good! :thup: and once again amazing that it was all a DIY.

Wow, you really did some amazing work in that build. I especially like your mounting systems for the CPU block and NB heatsink. It would have been much easier to just take the mounting cage for the CPU heatsink off of the motherboard, and bolt the waterblock on. You went the extra mile to use the original clip system. Nice job.

Looks fantastic. That is excellent craftsmanship. Your temps seem very good. I would love to know for curiousities' sake how this block compares with the storm because it looks like it could give it a run for its money.

SICK!

I thought your project was already Bad@55 from the start but seeing the completion is just too crazy. If I had those tools...DROOL!. I would be popping out the designs I have in my head all the time instead of drawing them on Post-its at work!

I really do like the mounting of the CPU and NB aswell. Really precise work you did there. That PCB fabrication doohicki you did there was freakin' insane I might add...sheesh that was some work you did.

Awesome job again... and they say money can't buy you happiness...just kidding.
Bryan D.

im always impressed by these DIY's and when they come out this clean and professionally. im even that more impressed.

anyone know or have the idea of a DIY motherboard or some sorts?

honhon said:
im always impressed by these DIY's and when they come out this clean and professionally. im even that more impressed.

anyone know or have the idea of a DIY motherboard or some sorts?
A whole motherboard fabricated by an individual? Not going to happen; too complex and just too many proprietary things.

JoT said:
A whole motherboard fabricated by an individual? Not going to happen; too complex and just too many proprietary things.

ok, i was just wondering b/c people have done their own cooling systems, cases modified PSU's, so i though the only thing else a good electronics person could do would be a mobo.

A mobo would be rediculios, they usually have about 7 layers and god knows how many thousands of traces. There is just no way you could make one with out some type of factory. Well actually you could make one with descete components but it would take up about two football fields. Like in the day when you programmed on punch cards.

Thanks for answering my quetion noxqzs, I was looking at being a MechE but I love integrating Culombs law (gaus for none uniform objects) just too darn much. Maybe I can make freinds in the ME departmint and have them teach me some autocad in exchange for calc help in Mathematica.

Anyways tha more I look at your fan controller the more I like it. Could you maybe post a ruff schematic and some large res pics of it. I built a PWM one but dont like the hum the inductors make. Plus its huge and only two channle but will put 36 watts a channel ;p. Anyways I still love looking at your rig
Job well done

Magictoaster_v2 said:
A mobo would be rediculios, they usually have about 7 layers and god knows how many thousands of traces. There is just no way you could make one with out some type of factory. Well actually you could make one with descete components but it would take up about two football fields. Like in the day when you programmed on punch cards.

the parts needed would not be commercially available to you anyway

benchamrks:
3dmark05: 6,101
Aquamark: 69,341

Since a couple people show interest in the fan controller. I decided to make quick post of it. first picture is the schematic with part numbers. these are very common parts and should be easy enough to locate. the other pics, just show my design, but there are numerous ways to go about placing the components.

SCHEMATIC
voltageRegulator.JPG

SAMPLE
sm_voltReg01.jpg

Large Pic

sm_voltReg02.jpg

Large Pic

EDIT: two things, first I noticed that in every place you have hoses pass through holes you cut you have these awsome o-ring looking things. Where on earth did you get them I have been lurking around my ill-equipt hardware stores and have not been able to find them. Please tell me where I might be lucky enough to aquire some :)

Second in picture wb80.jpg you have your fan controller sitting on a notebook with a vary familiar looking code written on it :rolleyes: I hope thats not what I think it is... free xp anyone?
Thought you might want to know.

Thanks for the pics and schematic I will be plasing an order with newark/digikey over the weekend including some blank PCBs (the kind for point to point stuff)

but if any one wants to make there own etched board, radio shack has a kit that retails for $15 and should have every thing you need

link:http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-1576

Thanks again
Nicholas

Last edited:
good deal magictoaster.

The key is actually from winxp, but its my activation code. wont do any good to anyone.

the "grommets" you are reffering to, I found at Home Depot in the Electrical section, near the wire ties and such.

What? No capacitor in that circuit to keep things smooth? J/K ;) You've paid more attention to detail with everything than most and that just caught my eye. It's been a while since I built my own bus, but IIRC, the 317's forward voltage is input voltage less 1.25V or so. So if you're running 12.00V on your 12V rail, the fans will only get 10.75V. Not that it really matters, but if someone has a PSU with a pretty weak 12V rail, that could make a noticeable impact on "full power" temps.

Back