• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DLAA vs. DLDSR: what's the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In a nutshell, yes, DLDSR should be in the options in the control panel (for RTX GPUs), if I'm not mistaken it was introduced in a fairly recent driver version. Thing is it will only work for certain multipliers like 1.78x and 2.25x and has performance cost. DLSS is still the better option, less games supported but the quality setting will give you better image quality than original while rendering at a lower resolution and more FPS on top.

DSR and DLDSR render the content above native resolution, and scale it down to try and give higher visual quality. For a given output quality, DLDSR has lower demands and thus higher performance than plain DSR.

DLAA I'd treat the same as DLSS just without the upscaling part. It works at native resolution.

it allows for setting a higher resolution than native.
They do two different things. Try these. :)

What is DLSS?​

DLSS, or Deep Learning Super Sampling, is a proprietary technology developed by NVIDIA. It uses deep learning neural networks to upscale lower-resolution images in real-time. The primary goal here is to improve frame rate while maintaining or even enhancing the image quality. The latest version, NVIDIA DLSS 3.5, boosts your FPS and offers ray reconstruction capabilities for better image quality. This version also incorporates DLAA, adding another layer to its functionality.

What is DLAA?​

Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing, or DLAA, focuses solely on image quality, specifically on smoothing out jagged edges in graphics. Unlike DLSS, DLAA does not involve upscaling and therefore doesn’t contribute to improving your frame rate. It uses deep learning to intelligently eliminate aliasing artifacts, making the visuals crisp and clear.

In short, it’s DLSS with the upscaling portion removed. Instead of upscaling the image, Nvidia is putting its AI-assisted tech to work for better anti-aliasing at native resolution.

Fine details aside, one (DLAA) is used for IQ improvements on the jaggies/edges (Alaising, and AA, its namesake) at a performance cost (also similar to AA). While DLSS/DLDSR is made to improve performance..........its end product is NOW similar or or perhaps even better quality than the original. You may be confusing physical screen resolution with how these technologies work(?),

Last edited:
Would DLAA tend to cause ghosting? In Last of Us Part I I'm getting noticeable ghosting, but I'm not sure if it's down to DLAA or not. DLSS is turned off FWIW.

@mackerel
When I use DLAA in The Last of Us Part I it allows for setting a higher resolution than native.
Maybe I shouldn't have used "native" but just render and output resolutions, which I presumed are the same. I guess there's nothing stopping a dev from implementing an alternate scaling method at which point it would be ambiguous where AA might be applied, pre- or post-scaling.

Would DLAA tend to cause ghosting? In Last of Us Part I I'm getting noticeable ghosting, but I'm not sure if it's down to DLAA or not. DLSS is turned off FWIW.
I'm not sure about DLAA but DLSS certainly has a TAA element to it, which if not handled properly can lead to artefacts on some movement. This more of a problem with FSR2 than DLSS.

I'm not sure about DLAA but DLSS certainly has a TAA element to it, which if not handled properly can lead to artefacts on some movement. This more of a problem with FSR2 than DLSS.

DLAA causes some ghosting/shimmering, specifically in scenes with lots of movement, like Spider-Man, but less than TAA and DLSS.

The ghosting only happened in the subway level and only w/the enemies (i.e. the clickers) it was very noticeable though. I'll try ED's suggestion and see what shakes out.

DLAA WAS the problem and it wasn't only w/the clickers, Ellie was ghosting too.

Last edited:
Back