• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do i need a laptop for college- ITT Tech?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hanzalo

what's up guys
i'm in my second semester at ITT Tech, in the Computer Network Systems field. i was wondering, do you think i will need a laptop? i can take notes by hand, but i really don't know what to expect, being that i've never been to college before.

It's all personal preference... I'll be graduating in the fall with a CS degree and I've never felt the need to bring a laptop in the classroom. Personally, I understand/remember things better if I hand write them vs typing stuff out.

If you do decide to use a laptop, please don't sit in the front row pounding away, it's distracting.

You dont /need/ a laptop. Only about 10% of my class bring theres in. I use mine to write note, using a tablet, on the powerpoint slides my teachers use. They make them aviable at the start of the lecture so I download them and scribble away. I think its really useful.

If you do get a lappy, you dont need anything powerful at all, but the keyboard will be very important. Dont get a netbook.

Everyone learns differntly, so its done to you. Just remember 15.4" laptops are heavy, they dont feel it but after a whole day, it gets to you.

I have graduated twice from ITT, Associates of Science degree in Computer Networking Systems and a Bachelor of Science degree in Information Systems Security and I got one of the dell laptops they were offering. And I never really used it in class. I took handwritten notes and did the labwork on the lab computers.

when you really get down to it, typing out lecture notes on a laptop isn't as "personal" as writing by hand, especially as making diagrams and personal representations is real easy - even with a 13 inch laptop it's really quite bulky.

thanks for the input, guys. i think i'll just get a desktop. i don't see myself needing a laptop for anything if i can just as easily get through school without one. plus, i got the urge to build a pc.

Back