• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need a monitor to turn my pc on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thebucketlord

Registered
So i just built my first pc but i dont have my monitor yet i tried turning the pc on just to see if the fans would turn on but it didnt do i need the monitor to turn the pc on or am i just doing something wrong?

Not to just turn it on, no. What stage is the system build in and what components are being used?

You can post a picture or two of what you've done. Maybe we can see what you did wrong?

Some motherboards will not boot without a monitor connected (much to the annoyance of server builders), but they will try to start.

Make sure you have both power cables connected to the motherboard. There is a big one with 24 pins that connects along the front edge of the motherboard and a smaller one with 4 or 8 pins that connects between the CPU and the I/O ports along the back edge. They both need to be connected in order to power up. And as someone else said, make sure the power button wire connector is bridging the correct pins on the front panel pin block of the motherboard. That pin block is usually near the bottom rear corner of the motherboard. Concerning that pin block, there are usually two rows of pins. The two that the power button wire connects to are usually the first two (going from right to left) on the top row. Doesn't make any difference which way you turn the connector. There is not polarity, just a bridge.

Back