• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozak223

Have a dell xps 8700 with stock 460w psu (Delta 80 Plus Bronze?).

i7-4790
1tb 7200rpm hd
dvdrw
8gb ddr3
wireless KB/mouse
ocassional other usb devices (hd, etc)
GTX 750ti

Was looking to upgrade to the GTX 970. Specifically this one as it is short enough to fit my case without any hassle.

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Video-C...e=UTF8&qid=1429726366&sr=1-7&keywords=gtx+970

Is the stock psu enough or should I get something more (650w?) to be safe? I googled around a bit and there seems to be conflicting opinions.

Thanks.

What is the amperage on the 12v rail of that PSU (see label on the side of the PSU).

The GTX 970 is a 150W card at stock speeds. Without bios mods, it may be able to hit 200W. If you do not overclock, it should be fine. Overclocking, depending on that amperage rating on the 12v rail, may or may not be possible.

I'm at work at the moment but I believe it is 32 amps. I'll double check when I get home.

Also, if that stock Dell supply is more than a couple of years old, I would be looking to replace it anyway.

Also, if that stock Dell supply is more than a couple of years old, I would be looking to replace it anyway.

Dell's manufacturers of PSU's are hipro and fortron, typically an "above average" power supply, nothing to stress over. Considering it shipped with a 4790 (unless thats typo), that can't be more than a year old. 460w would be fine with a 970 (pending amperage is fine, OP should check that)

edit: Let me clarify. Yes I think a new power supply would be a good investment. No, I don't think its mandatory for him to get a new one with a 970 on that rig.

Last edited:
My reason to saying that a replacement is a good idea is because he's going to be increasing power draw and (by his recollection) it'd be on the edge of power draw already.

The OEM on this is a Delta, as stated. It's a good unit, that's for sure. Just don't want him on the edge of what it can give.

:
My reason to saying that a replacement is a good idea is because he's going to be increasing power draw and (by his recollection) it'd be on the edge of power draw already.

The OEM on this is a Delta, as stated. It's a good unit, that's for sure. Just don't want him on the edge of what it can give.

:facepalm: man how'd I miss that first sentence lol

Yeah, he's probably pulling 400w with 970. The main concern would be amperage on the rails. Should be ok tho

:

:facepalm: man how'd I miss that first sentence lol

Yeah, he's probably pulling 400w with 970. The main concern would be amperage on the rails. Should be ok tho

Well, he said he thought it was 12V @ 32A. Which is 384W, as we discussed earlier in the thread.
As mentioned, stock speeds would be okay for that on a new PSU, but after a year or two of deterioration it probably wouldn't be okay.

Too close says the guy that pulled 900W from a 750W SuperNova G2 :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Would like to hear the actual amp rating from the sticker once the OP can check.

Crap.

Try a corsair CX600 series if you want decent and cheap.

See the link in my signature for 'approved' PSUs that fit in your wattage needs and price range.

Back