• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new router? Too many devices or interference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I originally started with a TP-Link C7 Router. After a few years and extra devices I thought potentially it was maxing out, so I added a 2nd router (TP-Link A7 v5) and I split the non-essential "smart" devices into the older router and left all the usable devices to the newer one.

Fast forward to today, and I'm having random connection issues, slowdowns etc.
I have approx 15 devices on the A7, and 6-8 on the C7 router.

Do you think I'm really maxing out here with the number of devices and I should get a higher end unit, or would adding a OneMesh extender unit help at all?

I do NOT think that you are maxing out. The issue may be a router getting old and starting to fail. It could be too much traffic/interference on a single channel. It could also be an issue with your ISP.

I do NOT think that you are maxing out. The issue may be a router getting old and starting to fail. It could be too much traffic/interference on a single channel. It could also be an issue with your ISP.

The A7 is only a year old...
All the hardwire devices have no issues.
I guess I should mention thats 15 devices wireless. Then there is 5-6 more hardwired. The hardwire have NO issues, ever.

Just trying to figure out what the right action is? Or what else can I diagnose with?

As mentioned by wagex, c6 has a big thread about it that was linked, but he had a massive number of devices (a ton of smart devices, switches, lights, etc).

With the number that you listed you should be fine. I would be installing a signal tester app on a phone or laptop and walking around your place and see if you can find where a signal may be weak or getting interference from a neighbor or something. You didn't mention if it was a house or apartment, the square footage, or placement of your router in relation to where everything else is on your property to help diagnose.

As mentioned by wagex, c6 has a big thread about it that was linked, but he had a massive number of devices (a ton of smart devices, switches, lights, etc).

With the number that you listed you should be fine. I would be installing a signal tester app on a phone or laptop and walking around your place and see if you can find where a signal may be weak or getting interference from a neighbor or something. You didn't mention if it was a house or apartment, the square footage, or placement of your router in relation to where everything else is on your property to help diagnose.
That and we don't know if it's 2.4 or 5 GHz. If the building has metal or cement walls. These things can all contribute. Did you recently buy a new copper mesh wall covering? Maybe not. Never mind that question. ;)

That and we don't know if it's 2.4 or 5 GHz. If the building has metal or cement walls. These things can all contribute. Did you recently buy a new copper mesh wall covering? Maybe not. Never mind that question. ;)

I keep everything on 2.4 because the upstairs in our 2400sq house doesnt get enough signal to do 4k without stuttering.

House is just typical lumber and drywall, nothing to really impede signal.

Back