• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do late model Intel 4-core/8 thread CPUs generally overclock better than higher core models?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Do the newest Intel 4c/8t CPUs overclock to significantly higher margins than higher core models? And, if so, are the margins great enough in gaming to make up for the lack of cores?

The newest Intel 4-core CPUs don't overclock better simply because all of them are locked. The lowest modern K CPU has 6 performance cores, and if you are lucky, it will pass 6GHz, the same as the highest K/KS. However, the average i9 overclocks much better.
The problem with cores is that the OS runs a lot of tasks in the background when games still typically use 2-4 threads (each year are more modern titles that can use 8+ cores). No matter what you do, the reasonable minimum from available options seems 6c/12t. Again ... if you pick Intel CPU, then you get e-cores, so it will be 10 cores minimum.
Because of the modern CPU design, I feel like AMD is a better option for gaming. It's not that Intel performs worse (as it sometimes performs better), but AMD does the same job at a 30-100% lower wattage. Compare 7800X3D with 14600K and you will know what I mean.

Back