• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do non Windows Insiders get new Windows 10 builds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
If you are not a Windows Insider and you just upgraded your Windows 7/8 machine a few months ago, have you had a new Windows 10 build install on your machine?

When a Windows Insider connects to Windows Update, a new Windows 10 build downloads automatically, completely hosing your Windows 10 settings, including any settings you changed in any of your installed programs, so it's like you just nuked and fresh installed Windows, kind of, because the programs are still there but every setting you changed anywhere, every minor Windows setting and every minor individual program setting has been reset to default.

How does it work on regular old Windows 7/8 upgraded to Windows 10? Do you get new Windows 10 builds and if so what happens when they install?

My desktop and laptop are not a Windows Insider versions, and neither get wiped when I update. The desktop was installed clean from a Win10 disk, and the laptop is an upgrade from Win8.

Remember when I said I was having trouble with licensing, etc? Well, that was when I used the insider method to upgrade. So, to get around those issues, I just reimaged the machine with my last W7 image, and activated it (like I should have done out of the gate). I then upgraded to W10 and was fully licensed. That said, I just received the 5603 update or whatever it was last night and it did not bork my settings.... then again, I don't change much at all with my windows settings.

Non Insiders get the regular updates. I did the update this morning, my install is 11 gigs larger. I'll find a legitimate source for the updated .iso, and do a fresh install.

Check your windows.ebd file size, my ballooned after the update...

Also:

Search > clean > Select the system drive > OK > Wait, then click on Clean up system files button > Select the system drive > OK > CHECK: Previous Windows installation(s) and scroll down and CHECK: Temporary Windows installation files > OK > Delete Files > Yes.

And see if there are other large temp files that come up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your windows.ebd file size, my ballooned after the update...

Also:

Search > clean > Select the system drive > OK > Wait, then click on Clean up system files button > Select the system drive > OK > CHECK: Previous Windows installation(s) and scroll down and CHECK: Temporary Windows installation files > OK > Delete Files > Yes.

And see if there are other large temp files that come up there.

I'll be doing this after work. But I still plan to do a fresh install once I obtain the .iso.

Back