• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

* Do not buy: OCz Vertex 2 and Agility 2 - Beware!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Big thanks to the OP for this information. I was almost dead set on a Vertex 2 until I stumbled across this thread. Time to look elsewhere for an SSD...

I am curious, would running a 25nm version and a 35nm version of the same drive potentially cause raid issues? Seems like this could be a problem due to difference in read/write specs and format capacities.

I am curious, would running a 25nm version and a 35nm version of the same drive potentially cause raid issues? Seems like this could be a problem due to difference in read/write specs and format capacities.

It could cause a problem, if one drive was taking too much time longer than the other to read/write then it could be dropped from the RAID.

Thanks Dooms. Man, I really wish I had done a few more googles before pulling the trigger on mine... :bang head

I know I'm jumping into this late but what shocks me is that people are so surprised about OCZ doing this. Granted it is poor ethics but OCZ has been doing this for years. They would release "high speed" or performance ram that made the o/c community go nuts and buy it up as fast as it would hit shelves. As stock ran out they would change the chips or use lower grade chips that wouldn't live up to the initial products but hid them under the same heatspreaders and name. Many people would complain, many returns were done, and many rma's would be issued yet people would still get sucked in the next time. It is the sole reason I do not buy products from them and the only reason I have not considered them for my SSD purchase.

OCZ sucks, all you had to do is go to the ram section and see most of the people with problems had OCZ ram kits. Dont buy anything from them ever again they make subpar products and lie to the customers, i hope they get sued and lose hard

So does anyone know for sure if the 80gigs are affected? I noticed the 60 and 120 gig but not 80gig, unless I missed it. I just ordered a OCZ Technology-Vertex 2 80GB Internal Serial ATA Solid State Drive-Black-OCZSSD22VTX80G
SKU: 2383072
from best buy since they price matched microcenter and I had $200 in best buy credit.

So does anyone know for sure if the 80gigs are affected? I noticed the 60 and 120 gig but not 80gig, unless I missed it. I just ordered a OCZ Technology-Vertex 2 80GB Internal Serial ATA Solid State Drive-Black-OCZSSD22VTX80G
SKU: 2383072
from best buy since they price matched microcenter and I had $200 in best buy credit.

Reportedly the 80G SSDs were not affected. Unfortunately the 25nm NANDs have been randomly seen in a very few other OCZ SSDs. When it arrives you can test by looking at the space available to you for formatting. Those manufactured with the 35nm NANDs will yield about 93% of the "sold size." Thus 80G*0.93=74.4G. Less than that, it is the 25nm NANDs.

I was lucky... my 180s were "E" series but formatted at 93%... so I guess they are both 35nm.

Hi Guys, I know I'm late to this post but just noticed the thread and thought I would post. I bought one of the 60 gig Vertex 2 drives 10 months ago, today the 2nd replacement one died on me ( 3 have died in total ). I just read this thread and couldn't believe what I was reading. I got mine off of ebuyer so hopefully they will allow me to switch it for a different drive from a different manufacturer since 3 of them have died. I will never by another OCZ product again.

Back