• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone here play Planetside ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
I played this game when it came out on the free download for 30 days. I played the game and it was buggy as heck and got boring after awhile. I relise now that the game is all patched up and has a new Expansion comming out, well itsn ot really an expansion just both Planetside and Core combat combind with all the new updates.

Anyway Im ganna buy that pack when it comes out instead of hunting for the rare planetside and Core combat boxes. Does this game run on a 6800Gt ? I was wondering this before i buy the game

uhh i'm sorry but are you asking if a game on the market runs on one of the best current cards on the market? i would certainly hope so.

It will run fine on the card.. but why would you want to play an empty shell of a game? No one hardly plays the game anymore as SOE royally screwed the pooch with this game. It could have been sooo much more then it turned out to be. Like so many other games I guess. Not worth paying a continual price over and over for. Just get UT2k4 and have more fun for free. That's the best solution if you are looking for a good online game. If you play onslaught or assault you still get to use vehicles too so there really isn't anything in PS that you can't do in UT except for the mech armor.

planetside is one of those games you play for a week and then get bored. there is maybe 1/8th the amount of people playing now compaired to when it was beta/new release. finding a decent battle is near impossible and there is nothing to do but cap buildings. it gets boring realy fast.

I didnt ask you to tell me to get another forget it, i already have almost every good game outthier i just wanted to try something new, and ut2k4 is getting boring also.

Candyman, honestly, if you want to save your hard earned money, do not buy the game. Sure for thirty days the game might be fun, but after that it gets old really fast. EVERYONE I know who has the game says this, all personal friends that is. If I were you I'd wait for a better game to get out on the market or buy something like EQII or WoW. I mean, I was more disappointed in Planetside than Doom 3 :p. And yes, it will run fine on your card. I had no trouble running a ti4200 adn my 9800 pro @ max settings except it got a little laggy in ginormous battles.

A lot of people still play it and there are still massive battles. But it gets boring indeed. You can only cap the same building every other day for so long before you start to question...why?!?!

If you have nothing better to spend the money on buy 30 days and have some fun....because you will.....untill it gets boring :D I extremely enjoyed it for about 2months.

Well the new updates which will be uncluded in the new combo pack expansions, people with core combat can automaticly download the new updates comming, but im just ganna buy the combo pack cuss ihave none of the planetside games.

Anyway the updates are ganna have new units they look like mech's on mechwarrior or something, not to mention they are also comming out with new Islands to battle on called battle islands or something like that. Reading what peopel say that thier arent alot of people playing is something i kinda belive and kinda dont. Last time i played it thier were still tons of people on. I wish on thier main site they had something that showd how many people are actually playing at that current time. Cuss its iffy right now, they claim thier are thousands of people bt thats hard to belive. Altho i watched a video recently on Jan on this year and they said the the max they had this year was 12,000 people together.

Last time i played which was umm last year i dunno when this was like 5-6 months after planetside came out. Some of the islands said they were capped, which ment they were full. How many people does that mean is on the island ?

Edit: Ok well i found a 7day free trial with download no CC required. 7 day trial installer itsa big download, but its worth it to see if planetside has alot of people on it or not or if the game still sucks.

Last edited:
Planetside... it was a good game. It was very fluid and dynamic in the open beta. But it feels like right after beta, they switched games and we had a very buggy game on our hands (now explain that one to me). I played PS for about 2-3 months before I got bored of the only skill being involved is coordinating with teammates and firing your gun. I think it had so much potential, but when SWG was released, everything went downhill.

I remember I was reading their forums about a month ago to see how the game is progressing. Apparently there is still alot of performance issues and bugs.

If you enjoy the game, then I say go for it. I haven't played it in ages and I really need to dl that 30 day trial to see how it is.

Btw, as for island locks, it requires 100 people. It used to be unlimited, but they had to conserve their bandwith for other games. :bang head

Oh that sux, so whats the point of bragging about thousand of people playing online. Oh well.

I played the 7 day trial today and the game is like i remeberd it to be its a little bit diff, instead of one world with a bunch of continents, each one is no its own world. Not to mention on the 18th thier comming out with sme mechwarrio sized units. The game is also complicated and hard whe nu first play and relearn everything, i almost shat my pants trying to figure everything out again.

The max amount of people on an island is 750 (250 per empire), and yes that does happen fairly frequently.

I've played for around 9 months total, and I find it to be a really fun game. If you ever find yourself bored, make sure you find yourself a dynamic outfit that's a lot of fun to play with. Having a good outfit can make a big difference.

BTW I'm on Emerald with the Vanu Sovereignty, character name is Cloudburst.

Also I have no problem running it on high settings in either of my systems in the sig.

Back