• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does RAM need to be on a motherboard support list?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blazenarrow

Hello there,

I am putting together a new build (i5 4670k w/ asrock z87 extreme6) and I have already purchased this memory set: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104340

However, this particular set is not listed on the "memory support list" for this board: http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?cat=Memory&Model=Z87 Extreme6

There are several supported sets that are VERY similar. In the past I never had issues with buying RAM so I didn't think to check this first (but it's been several years since i've built a PC).

Thus, is it critical that the memory be on the support list in order to work correctly? I kind of need to know because my CPU/MOBO is coming next week and I can RMA the ram now and have some by then.

Thanks for your help! :chair:

No.

The QVL list simply means its tested, that is it. If you want 100% stick with QVL, if you want 99%, any DDR3 1.5v will more than likely work.

As long as the voltages and the timings are supported by the motherboard it shouldn't be a problem.

You will need to set the timings in the bios - I believe that if you leave the voltage on auto you'll be fine. You could change it to 1.5 when you set the timings.

Yeah it doesn't really matter, RAM is RAM. Although I do wonder if you had issues and tried to warranty your mobo they'd bring up if your ram was compatible...

As long as the voltages and the timings are supported by the motherboard it shouldn't be a problem.

You will need to set the timings in the bios - I believe that if you leave the voltage on auto you'll be fine. You could change it to 1.5 when you set the timings.
Great supplemental information. Chances are it will default to 1333 speeds and much worse timings. You can either set it manually, or use the XMP profiles to get it set properly. :thup:

Kingston makes solid RAM and I don't remember any issues with their memory no matter on what platform I was using them.
Actually most RAM now base on similar IC from Samsung or Hynix ( less Micron but specs are nearly the same ). Nearly all available brands make really high quality memory so if SPD/XMP profiles are correct ( in 99% cases they are ) then memory is going to work on any chipset.
Also all well known manufacturers have to make memory compatible with JEDEC standards and since base settings are similar then no matter what brand, memory will be acting the same.

Motherboard manufacturers are performing tests only on some memory kits as they have no access to every available memory kit. Usually on QVL lists are also added memory chips ( if they can read them ) so clients can compare them to other memory kits.

Nice guys, thanks for all the great info. I'm starting to get back in the grove with understanding components and such. :)

Back