• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Done with Newegg.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They just sent me this, cute that they put a 'confidential' thing at the bottom, as if that means anything:

WkCvWiK.png

Too late for me, my check was cashed by the state on 3/15. The letter I received had a payment deadline of 10 days IIRC, and for $100, it wasn't worth fighting over, so I just sent them the money.

Nope, you can see it says they only help get a refund if the notice was dated on or after March 19th. Those of us who got the notice before that are hosed.

The state probably sent out letters in order of amount owed, greatest to least expected return-on-investment. Once they got to people with a negative expected return, they stopped sending them out and told Newegg to feel free to try to salvage some customers by sending out a sorry-not-sorry email. Of course, Hanlon's Razor tells me I'm probably wrong here... Still not shopping at Newegg anymore.

Newegg just simply handing out sales data is a bad idea. It should be the buyers reasonably to claim the items on his/hers taxes.

Lets say I setup an Newegg account. Bought 10k worth of stuff and payed with PayPal, used a false name and address within CT. After it shipped got with the post office and had the shipment rerouted to my address. Someone in CT could get stiffed with with the taxes, yeah you would not have anything to prove you did not buy the item. Of course that would be ID theft or fraud and you should not do it. If you do, see you in 10-15 years and don't drop the soap.

Last edited:
Newegg just simply handing out sales data is a bad idea. It should be the buyers reasonably to claim the items on his/hers taxes.

Lets say I setup an Newegg account. Bought 10k worth of stuff and payed with PayPal, used a false name and address within CT. After it shipped got with the post office and had the shipment rerouted to my address. Someone in CT could get stiffed with with the taxes, yeah you would not have anything to prove you did not buy the item. Of course that would be ID theft or fraud and you should not do it. If you do, see you in 10-15 years and don't drop the soap.

People rarely get prosecuted, let alone convicted, for ID theft. Banks don't push it, they have insurance. Same with most retailers.

Nope, sure doesn't. I wish more people would be prosecuted for it. I've known several people who make a living doing it and the authorities aren't interested in "small time" crimes like that.

Another spin email:

kVNmvU6.png

We will have an update for you soon regarding those customers who have paid. We are trying to move through many layers of a complicated issue as quickly as we can and we hope to present you a solution soon.

I already have a 'solution' - don't shop at Newegg :)

Nope, sure doesn't. I wish more people would be prosecuted for it. I've known several people who make a living doing it and the authorities aren't interested in "small time" crimes like that.

Yeah my father got his credit messed all up from a fella in out of state. It was painfully apparent who did it, but because it was across state lines nothing was done with it.
Sad thing about it, now he has to check his credit every day incase the guy uses his ID again.

Last edited:
Yeah my father got his credit messed all up from a fella in out of state. It was painfully apparent who did it, but because it was across state lines nothing was done with it.
Sad thing about it, now he has to check his credit every day incase the guy uses his ID again.

Hopefully he's already frozen his credit..

Kind of hard to do that when you buy things with credit all the time. Yeah he got screwed big time

Yup. I had to argue for two weeks about black beauty products purchased in South Africa on my card. And that was a couple months after convenience store purchases in Tennessee showed up. Apparently a merchant in my neighborhood is either selling info or an employee is lifting it. Or Amazon was hit and never told anyone.

Back