• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 Pirated En Masse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually i see these people .... They actually ended up buying the game.... just didnt wanna wait for the pre order. Luckly Co-op is coming out soon

well over 90% of people who have the copy on Doom3 earlie obviously did not get it in a shop or through the post.

and if you look at the threads with the people who allready said how cool the game was sunday and monday (the leak was saturday) you can easily count on different forums how many people downloaded it.

ID could have managed to but up their own bit torrent tracker where you could log on after you paid through lets say paypal and then people could have downloaded it. through email you get a key to activate your copy which also needs to be registered online before you play otherwise the game is locked due to a hacked exe or something.

not that hard to implement.
they could have also released a demo 10 days ago! that would have easily stoped 30% of illigal downloads cause loads of people are realising the game is just another FPS and would not have bothered downloading 3 cd's.

50.000 they gonna sue. Thats a lot of people. Wonder if thats again just the USA and germany. (it will be US only)

p2p is to easy to many people do it. not everybody gets caught.

get rid of IRC and bittorrent tracker websites and we would have over 50% less piracy of this game. any many many other p2p things.

Last edited:
UndyingClocker said:
Hmm so they are gonna fine 50,000 people?? It would be funny if they had somekind of software in the game that when downloaded it would report that comps ip and pinpoint its location..and thats how they are gonna fine every one. Would be crazy.

thats why people use software firewalls. to see what apps want to connect to the internet! especially windows services... which I disable and I never have any problems.

and the people who connect to gameservers and who have an illigal copy are idiots or kiddies.

The only way to really prevent piracy now days is to require online / phone activation.
and I'm sure that you don't want to have to activate your game...
So It's just something that dishonest people will do to get their hands on something without paying for it.
It's part of software, and I'm sure that ID and Activision were expecting the game to be pirated in some form.
It's part of the industry now.
I don't like it, but it's just something you have to live with.
as long as there are those willing to download it without paying, someone out there will find a way to pirate it. :bang head

copy protection on cd's can not be secure. simply because the cd standart is so old and build insecure. its impossible.

cd protection is not there to prevent you copying games or piracy its there to deter some people so they cant do an easy copy of a game.

germanjulian said:
well over 90% of people who have the copy on Doom3 earlie obviously did not get it in a shop or through the post.

and if you look at the threads with the people who allready said how cool the game was sunday and monday (the leak was saturday) you can easily count on different forums how many people downloaded it.

ID could have managed to but up their own bit torrent tracker where you could log on after you paid through lets say paypal and then people could have downloaded it. through email you get a key to activate your copy which also needs to be registered online before you play otherwise the game is locked due to a hacked exe or something.

not that hard to implement.
they could have also released a demo 10 days ago! that would have easily stoped 30% of illigal downloads cause loads of people are realising the game is just another FPS and would not have bothered downloading 3 cd's.

50.000 they gonna sue. Thats a lot of people. Wonder if thats again just the USA and germany. (it will be US only)

p2p is to easy to many people do it. not everybody gets caught.

get rid of IRC and bittorrent tracker websites and we would have over 50% less piracy of this game. any many many other p2p things.

Y'know, I've heard that 56.8% of all statistics are made up right on the spot. :rolleyes:

So, according to you, it's not even remotely possible that some people may have gotten this game early via a legitimate source? I find that hard to believe. With so many people working in retail, I'm sure somebody managed to get it even earlier than Best Buy, CC or other stores were selling it at.

This thread is not a warezing witch hunt. It's a discussion about what will happen to pepople who have (or will) pirate this game.

Back