• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom III Specs Unleashed! How will your system hold up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
geforce 3 can't handle it fine, that's b/s. my fx5200 chokes to hell, and its better than gf3.

9800PRO should be fine though.

geforce 3 can't handle it fine, that's b/s. my fx5200 chokes to hell, and its better than gf3.

Your joking right? Of course your FX5200 will be choking to hell! Did you forget the videocard you were using?.......I'm running the game with a ATI Radeon 9700 PRO at 1024x768 High Detail everything on with ZERO LAG.

Oh and the X800/XT will run the game extremely smoothly at higher Resolutions. I'm getting a kick out of people claiming they have 6800GT's or X800 XT/PE that are "Lagging" at 800x600 total BS I'm SORRY. Check my specs in my profile, It's not like I have a super computer.

delljunks said:

no , u turn all ur setting down to low quality and 640 x 480? ;)

I'm running it on my 9800pro with a res of 1280 x 960 x 32 high details. So far the only time it gets laggy is when the darn MSN messenger box comes up letting me know someone logged in.

delljunks said:

I don't mean to be rude here, but my GF3 ti500 would spank your FX 5200, steal it's lunch money, and send it home crying to mommy.

You don't even want to know what my 4200 would do!

Remeber guys this post was made to find out if a card would handle the game. This was not made to say which card would beat which or what one is better.

My overclocked radeon 9800 pro 128mb works fine thankyou. I wish I had the 256 but too late and it didn't matter anyways.

One note though, DOOM 3 is really freakin scary, so if you happen to scream like a girl when scared then maybe you should only play when nobody else is home, not that I have that problem... :eek:

im still waiting for my game lol, EBgames in town probably wont get it till tommarow...grrrr so i might have top go to bestbuy

hrm funny my FX5200 is owning D3....probally because its overclocked to core melting speeds.

Goldstandard said:
My overclocked radeon 9800 pro 128mb works fine thankyou. I wish I had the 256 but too late and it didn't matter anyways.

One note though, DOOM 3 is really freakin scary, so if you happen to scream like a girl when scared then maybe you should only play when nobody else is home, not that I have that problem... :eek:

:p I'm not afraid to admit that the first Doom scared the hell out of me in some parts. Then again, I was like twelve years old, but still.

FX5200 sucks :argue: . A GF3 Ti 500 will win in most DX8 applications, but it will lose when it comes down to DX9. Same goes for the Ti4200. An FX5600Ultra will barely pass a Ti4200 in DX8, but will smoke it in DX9. Its hard to compare these cards.

Ok, I'm running this system:

2000+ Athlon
512 MB Ram
9800 Pro

I can run the game fine at 800x600 high settings and 4x AA. Usually a steady 40 FPS.

My specs are in my sig. Doom 3 seems to be running smooth as silk at 1024X768 on high quality. My 9800pro is the 128 mb flavor and so far no slowdowns. AA is off btw.

I would like to retract what I said and mention that 1280x1024 runs smoothly too! I have no idea why people are having such massive slow down's kind of strange.

DMac said:
That would be OK for me. I usually run things at 1024 x 768 anyway becaue I have a 17 inch monitor and things are too small at 1280 x 1024. I pretty much expected to run it at medium. Glad to hear it runs decent at that.

Damn I was mistaken, I still had the opengl drivers at 4aa and 16af. I forgot doom3 uses opengl. Well it actually runs smooth at 1280*1024 with high detail even with 512mb :p so no upgrade for me :D

FelleSis said:
Damn I was mistaken, I still had the opengl drivers at 4aa and 16af. I forgot doom3 uses opengl. Well it actually runs smooth at 1280*1024 with high detail even with 512mb :p so no upgrade for me :D

Exellent, I just got it and 1024 x 768 at ultra high seems to be fine with 512, but I haven't gotten to any fighting yet (just minutes in).

Edit:

I had all the Opengl settings on performance, when turned up I can't run Ultra settings in 1024 x 768. I can run 1280 x 1024 with high settings, but I think the 128 mb on card and 512 mb of system ram are killing me on ultra settings. I ordered a gig of ram and will post an update if there is a noticable difference or if it allows me to ude Ultra settings.

Last edited:
Has anybody tried D3 with a ATI 9600Pro? I am just wondering if it is worth buying it now or wait a while till I can afford a card upgrade (9800pro or above).

OC Noob said:
Exellent, I just got it and 1024 x 768 at ultra high seems to be fine with 512, but I haven't gotten to any fighting yet (just minutes in).

Edit:

I had all the Opengl settings on performance, when turned up I can't run Ultra settings in 1024 x 768. I can run 1280 x 1024 with high settings, but I think the 128 mb on card and 512 mb of system ram are killing me on ultra settings. I ordered a gig of ram and will post an update if there is a noticable difference or if it allows me to ude Ultra settings.

you where running 1024 x 768 at ultra with a 128mb card??

Drec said:
you where running 1024 x 768 at ultra with a 128mb card??

I had the OpenGL setting to performance, which reduces the quality of some textures (maybe all), so yes I did, but it really wasn't truely running anything close to full blown ultra.

I'm going to try the Ultra setting (w/ OpenGL settings at full quality) once I get the 1 gig of ram (a few days).

Running now at 1280 x 1024 high settings (in game) and highest quality OpenGL settings. 2x AA and 16x AF performance settings.

Running pretty nicely so far.

Back