• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Driver problem on 6800 XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeen

I recently cobbled together another computer from extra parts and ebay deals.

Opteron 146 (ebay)

Biostar Tforce6100-939 (newegg)

1.5 GB Single Channel (1GB G.Skill x 512MB Patriot, they have similar stock specs. This is known good RAM from another computer)

Maxtor 120GB (known good from another computer)

CoolerMaster 430W (ebay. Checked the rails with DMM and from boot to load the voltage is on spec and doesn't flucuate more than +/-0.1v)

XFX 6800 XT 256MB(ebay. This is the culprit I suspect)

After several reinstalls of WinXP and trying different drivers I found out that my system is stable up until the point I install nvidia vga drivers. After I run the autoinstall it either loads up fine and then starts freezing after about 15min, or it the installer tells me I don't have compatible hardware. I've used a couple versions in the 6x.xx series, 7x.xx series, 8x.xx series, 9x.xx series and a couple modded bios' I found. They all behave similarly. When I have everything the same, except for nvidia VGA drivers, this machine runs all day, and now I even have it running at 2600MHz, no problem. I just can't play games or look at a page where I might have to scroll.

Oh and even with the win drivers I still occasionally get artifacting on the boot screen and sometimes the desktop.

What's wrong?

drivers have always been a mystery...could be the card could be something else. Have you tried omega drivers?

If not google omega drivers and download the nvidia omega drivers and give them a shot. Hopefully it'll work for ya

I haven't tried Omega's in particular but I've tried some NGO modded drivers and many of the regular nvidia drivers. Its starting to feel more fundamental than drivers. All the drivers create the same behavior: artifacting on POST and Windows boot page followed by freezing and then I have to do a hardware reboot.

A BIOS flash sounds good, I'll have to google it.

What the heck, I'll try the 91.47s. I'm not even to the point that I'm looking for performance out of drivers, I just don't want constant crashes.

Thanks guys.

I haven't used the modded drivers since they corrupted my rig once.

When you do flash I'm pretty sure you can mod the BIOS for a voltage increase, if you are interested in that.

Well, I'm tired of screwing with it. I shouldn't have to try this hard to get this thing to work. I started a Paypal dispute with the seller so hopefully that'll work out.

I bought a another card, a 6800 GT.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back