• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DropBox EXE.?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can upload everything to your dropbox as long as it does not exceed your storage limit. However you should consider that you kind of publish your ISO then, if it is copyright protected material I would think twice.

Yup, its possible as long as you have the available storage in dropbox.

In fact, if anyone else has already uploaded that ISO, you may not even have to wait for it to upload. Dropbox uses hashes, so if the file already exists somewhere on drop box, they won't upload it again, it will just show up in your account, and the upload looks like it takes seconds. This is part of their deduping tech, and it saves them server space.

Last edited:
Yup, its possible as long as you have the available storage in dropbox.

In fact, if anyone else has already uploaded that ISO, you may not even have to wait for it to upload. Dropbox uses hashes, so if the file already exists somewhere on drop box, they won't upload it again, it will just show up in your account, and the upload looks like it takes seconds. This is part of their deduping tech, and it saves them server space.

Neat.

Ya, its kinda cool.

There was a lot of controversy at one point about the Dropship app, which Dropbox created a Streisand effect with by filing a bogus DMCA against it. I don't think it works anymore because Dropbox changed some things in their backend, but it was proof of concept that you can fake a hash for a file you don't actually have but another Dropbox user does, then just get it to show up in your Dropbox account.

On the subject of security, my office started recently using ShareFile combined with Boxcryptor (free version available.) Easy, fast and peace of mind with the additional encryption.

I haven't used either of those, but in the past on dropbox I used truecrypt with an encrypted file container (a single file, which is encrypted, but acts like a folder). That worked well for my personal needs.

My preferred storage provider is SpiderOak :) I only use Dropbox when I'm sharing a file on Facebook, since SpiderOak doesn't have an app yet.

We are just beginning to roll out ShareFile as well. So far, it's a great in-house answer for DropBox which raises too many security concerns for us.

Back