• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual boot help and insight.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I need to help a friend, his wife does his books on an older xp, 32 bit machine, an hp dc5700 i think the thing is.
with support for xp going away he would like me to add win7 to the machine in dual boot to see if she can get used to it while keeping xp intact as it is.
how might i do this or am i better off putting win7 on one of my 60 gig ssd's and slipping her xp drive into a desk drawer for a few weeks just in case?

I would rather dual boot and remove the xp later.

...add win7 to the machine in dual boot to see if she can get used to it while keeping xp intact as it is.

Keeping your existing OS in tact as it is and adding a new one, instead of replacing the old one is a very smart headache-saving decision.

Install each Operating System either on a separate new partition of the hard drive or on a separate hard drive. Installing Windows onto an SSD will drastically increase the speed of "everything" ;).

I use this program for quickly switching between OS:
https://neosmart.net/Download/Register/1
[Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Do not set Bootloader timeout to 0, set it to at least 2 seconds, otherwise you won't be able to change OS at bootup by repeatedly pressing keyboard arrows to pause at the bootup OS screen selection so you can make a choice if needed at bootup.

Simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS.

Tools > Options >
CHECK: Expert mode
CHECK: Remember the BCD Backup directory upon exit
UNCHECK: Everything else

Display Options TAB:
Default TAB at start up: Edit Boot Menu
CHECK: Everything else

EasyBCD cannot run on systems where Windows XP or earlier OS are installed without Windows Vista/7/8.
Windows Vista/7/8 are required to have been installed elsewhere on the same system.

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 31
so, here is the outcome. I through in another drive and installed win 7 pro and stuck the old drive in a drawer to let her get used to the win 7 some and let me get this dual boot winders thing figgered out.
same accounting and book keeping software and in two days he was back.
She was the B845H from H83L, she ripped me a new one over it I can't understand it?????
the software operated about the same, I mean she was ready to kill me and divorce him.
this is the last time I will ever help anybody migrate an operating system for a third person!!!
I put in the old xp drive and installed the updates to her software and she loves him again and all is good in her world again.....

Fair warning: If you set up Windows 8 without Classic Shell, you will see her on one of those shows Snapped or 48 Hour Mystery because your friend would not be among the living if she used Windows 8 without Classic Shell :)

Back