• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual MP 1.2ghz vs Single XP 2000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, i am stuck between l337 factor + smooth multi tasking, vs a lil more raw speed and a boring factor. Which of these would be the best choice for gaming, with music in the background, and musc+web+messengers+folding+whatever else?

if you are looking for cool why don't you go on ebay and get a quad pentium 500MHz xeon setup and run win2k adv server?

with mohaa you should go with a faster single processor unless you have a killer video card. since you already have pc2700 ram, go with a 2500barton. they really move, even compared to a 2000 and are like $80 @ newegg which you can't beat. and get a new m/b, just about any nforce2 board will be excellent for you.

You have a good idea there, but this system isn't the main gaming rig. It just needs to be CAPABLE of playing that game for ocasions when I have friends over, or the main rig crashes, or something like that. So, would I still be ABLE to play MOHAA? Wont be at maxed settings, just need to be able to play @ high res(can't stand low, but all settings will be low) and not lag, or atleast the lag not be caused by the processors.

I used to know people who ran MOHAA on a PIII 700 mhz and it seemed to run ok for them. I personnaly would go with the dual MP 1200s. You may end up needing them at one point or another for some big multitasking. :)

AFIsoldier said:
I game, rip music, watch movies, host CS LANs, and surf the web while using AIM. Which setup would I prefer? Neither will be overclocked(unless the MPs oc well), and will have the same ram, vidcard, and hdd. So, which would be the better choice, and which would YOU choose?

Using a dual will perform better durring the multitasking.Also look at the for sale section here and at 2cpu.com for good used MPO chips if you want to go dual.

Also using an O/S that is smp aware will benifit you even if the apps are not, Because the way the O/S will handle processor request is it will distribute them as evenly as possible to each processor EVEN of the app is single threaded.

So when you run 2 , 3 , 4 , apps each processsor will help every app as it runs...THATS why SMP runs so smoothly...

my two cents

For any multitasking, the dual mp motherboard would likely outperform the single xp processor. However, if you were to run one application, like a game, chances are it won't support SMP and it'll run slower. Not a lot of applications support multiple processors.

Personally I'd go with the dual processors, but I'm not that much of a gamer.

Just one thing, if you do choose to get the dual processor motherboard, watch out for the heat. Two processors, I'm guessing to be athlons with 0.18 stepping, are likely to generate a lot of heat. Any decent cooling setup should be fine, though.

Back