• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual xeon cpu build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martybaker

Registered
Hi,
I have come accross some videos on youtube of gaming pcs made with a dual cpu motherboard with intel xeon cpu's. It sounds like a cheap way for a noob like me to build a powerful starter that is capable of running a virtual machine and doing video editing and gaming.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

There was a time when there were lots of cheap E5-2670 CPUs around. Dunno if they still are or not. They're somewhat old Sandy Bridge era, but in total it could get you 16 cores 32 threads on one dual socket system. Problem is finding a cheap mobo to go with it. Think others have had success finding server boards with PCIe slots so you can add a GPU. They are low clock so will never be that great at gaming.

There was a time when there were lots of cheap E5-2670 CPUs around. Dunno if they still are or not. They're somewhat old Sandy Bridge era, but in total it could get you 16 cores 32 threads on one dual socket system. Problem is finding a cheap mobo to go with it. Think others have had success finding server boards with PCIe slots so you can add a GPU. They are low clock so will never be that great at gaming.
Thanks, seemed too good to be true.

i found one of these awhile back. Intel S2600CP2J came with 2 e5-2670's and 64gb of ram for $400. but then i had to hunt for a case that would fit it since it's bigger length wise.

i found one of these awhile back. Intel S2600CP2J came with 2 e5-2670's and 64gb of ram for $400. but then i had to hunt for a case that would fit it since it's bigger length wise.

I built two of these and fit them in a standard Corsair Carbide Clear 400 cases. Both ran rock solid.

One was built with dual E5-2670s (16C/32T total) the other with dual E5-2640s (12C/24T total). I used an EVGA mini GTX 1060 in the top x16 slot mostly and also tried an RX480 and GTX 1080 in the bottom x8 slot.

I had to be creative to secure the Intel SP2600CP2J in the case since only 3 holes matched. Just used plastic standoffs and twist tied some of them to the motherboard tray.

Back