• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duel 120mm fans and a Swiftech....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SamDaMan

Registered
Duel 120mm Heatsink fans and a Swiftech 462 ...

Ok after reading this forum and others and shopping around I got some of these:

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/12to80maalfa.html

and these 120mm fans:

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/en12vasphipe1.html

MCX462+T™ Thermoelectric heatsink assembly for AMD® processors (thru-motherboard mount)

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/swifmcx462uu.html

I have the older 462 swiftech heatsink on my 3200+ Barton, with 1.5 gig of pc3200 "value" ram running at 366bus (not 400). A Antec TruePower 550Watt and 3 hard drives (250, 250 and 120 gigs). I have a DFI AL-600 motherboard, or something, cuase I could not get 3 Abits in a row to work heh...

Anyway I was all hoping that mounting the 120mm fan on the adapter and then the adapter on the heat sink would solve my problems. Nope it was a joke the computer shut down at 60C after about 3 hours.

I use the newest artic silver plastic ceramic whatever stuffs.

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/c22ghidethco.html

So then I start thinking about some kind of pipe going from the outside to the top of the heat sink, then I start thinking why have a pipe just cut the hole right over the processor. So I cut a hole in the case and mount another 120mm fan in the case blowing right down onto the 120mmfan on the adaptor. There is only 1-2 inches between the two of them so air dosn't have a lot of place to go to. The 120mm on the adaptor also blows down onto the heatsink. Well Bingo temps are 44-48C all the time now. No overclocking but running at the standard speed. Sound is a bit loud but not like that stupid tornado at all. I have 4 intake fans that came with the case they are low cfm and don't really do much as far as the processor is concerned I just want some air going over the hard drives... The outgo is just the Antec PS fans. But with all the positive pressure in the case the air goes out just anywhere.

This is a really rough setup. I am thinking that the newer 462 that takes a 92MM fan, with the 120 just blowing onto the 92Mm fan without any adaptor might be better yet, and cutting an actually round hole (heh) might reduce some of the noise. I would have posted a picture but I just cut the hole with garden clipers and a power drill lol.... to embarressed to post it.

Oh ya thats the actual fan speed I took the power wires off the 3 pin and just left the sensor to plug into the board and put the two power wires direct to the 4 pins molex connectors from the power supply.

Anyway this duel fan system with freash air from the outside is nice and very easy to build.

Here is the SS report, MBM5 says 44C but I could not find my board as a supported one... Anyway its under 48C which is what i wanted.

< Processor >
Model: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
Speed: 2.20GHz
Model Number: 3200 (estimated)
Performance Rating: PR3190 (estimated)
Type: Standard
L2 On-board Cache: 512kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64
byte line size)

< Mainboard >
Bus(es): ISA AGP PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP Support: 1 CPU(s)
MP APIC: Yes
System BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
System: VIA Technologies, Inc. KT600-8237
Mainboard: KT600-8237
Total Memory: 1535MB DDR-SDRAM

< Chipset 1 >
Model: VIA Technologies Inc VT8377 Apollo KT400/A/
600 CPU to PCI Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed: 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)
Total Memory: 1536MB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed: 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)

< Video System >
Monitor/Panel: Default Monitor
Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900

< Physical Storage Devices >
Removable Drive: Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk: eUSB SmartMedia
Hard Disk: Maxtor 6Y120L0
Hard Disk: Maxtor 6Y250P0
Hard Disk: Maxtor 6Y250P0
CD-ROM/DVD: SONY DVD-ROM DDU1621 USB Device

< Operating System(s) >
Windows System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (Win32
x86) 5.00.2195 (Service Pack 4)

< Network Services >
Adapter: Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

< Performance Tips >
Warning 100: Large memory sizes should be made of
Registered/Buffered memory.
Tip 101: Large memory sizes should be made of ECC/
Parity memory.

<<< CPU & BIOS Information >>>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<< Processor 1 >>
< Processor >
Model: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
Speed: 2.20GHz
Model Number: 3200 (estimated)
Performance Rating: PR3190 (estimated)
Type: Standard
Package: Socket A PGA
Multiplier: 11/1x
Generation: G7
Name: Duron M10 & Athlon MP/XP (Barton/Thorton)
130nm 1.8GHz+ 1.6-1.65V
Revision/Stepping: A / 0 (0)
Stepping Mask: A2
Core Voltage Rating: 1.650V
Maximum Physical / Virtual Add:34-bit / 32-bit
Native Page Size: 4kB

< Co-Processor (FPU) >
Type: Built-in
Revision/Stepping: A / 0 (0)

< Processor Cache(s) >
Internal Data Cache: 64kB Synchronous Write-Back (2-way, 64 byte
line size)
Internal Instruction Cache: 64kB Synchronous Write-Back (2-way, 64 byte
line size)
L2 On-board Cache: 512kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64
byte line size)
L2 Cache Multiplier: 1/1x (2200MHz)

< Upgradeability >
Socket/Slot: Socket A
Upgrade Interface: ZIF Socket
Supported Speed(s): 3.00GHz+

< Environment Monitor 1 >
Model: ITE IT8705/12 ISA
Mainboard Specific Support: No

< Environment Monitor 2 >
Model: NS LM83
Version: 2.01
Mainboard Specific Support: No

< Power Rating(s) >
CPU Core Power: 77W (estimated)

< Sensors >
CPU Temperature: 34.0°C / 93.2°F
Auto Fan Speed Control: No
CPU Fan Speed: 2136rpm
CPU Voltage: 1.70V

Last edited:
Well..

No replies? Heh....

Good Idea? No? Done before?

Not clear what I did?

Welcome back Sam..:) I guess not to many ppl's run swiftys anymore..Thermalright is on the top of the hill right now...To my knowledge, swiftys work best with a high pressure fan..Most 120mm don't provide that..I'm glad you were able to meet your goal..;)

*The most recent study published on June 2002 by the Swedish web site

SOURCE LINK :burn:

** Things change... :rolleyes:

Heh...

Good link on the blower I read it years ago and forgot lol... his ideas are better... gonna find a blower lol...

Well...

Ok based on this review and yur statement that swiftech is out of fashion:

http://www.thecrucible.ca/reviews/tower112/performance.htm

I got a tt Tower112 [its so new they just got it in a week ago and there are only 2 reviews on the web]. It says its better then a Tornado/462-V combo, with just silent papst fans. I picked up two of the 92mm enermax fans, I kinda like the idea of the reostate built in, and the store did not have the papst, just vantec stealth and panaflos... but I also have two of the 80mm papst fans which I might try.

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/en92vasphipe1.html

"Only one Papst fan was used during this testing. This allowed the noise level to be reduced even further. The noise level of the single Papst fan is nearly inaudible."

"Again the Tower112 comes out on top. Even running nearly silent the Tower112 provides better resulting temperatures than the 55dB(A) Vantec Tornado and Swiftech MCX462-V which previously was the most effective cooling solution for our AthlonXP test system. This goes to show just how effective the heat pipe is."

Well when I have the energy I try the tower112 and my two papst 4812's

http://www.silentmaxx.net/silent_products/fans/PAPST/80mm/80mm.html

Alternately I might hook up a big normal fan (like a desktop one 5-6 inch diamater) running at low rpm into the ducting you get for dryers or furnaces at Homedepot and attach that to the hole in my case over the cpu with the metal duct tape.... and place the fan like 20 feet away from me lol... by the time the air gets to the cpu it will be like a blower...

Last edited:
Thats the point of the blower..It will work against the resistence of the ducting...The axial fan you propose will not get the air there like you imagine.. ;) Let us know your results after you get the HS installed.. :thup:

Alternately I might hook up a big normal fan (like a desktop one 5-6 inch diamater) running at low rpm into the ducting you get for dryers or furnaces at Homedepot and attach that to the hole in my case over the cpu with the metal duct tape.... and place the fan like 20 feet away from me lol... by the time the air gets to the cpu it will be like a blower...

Ya...

Could be right, let me see if there is a blower that is AC, if you go through all the trouble to get an item that needs more 12V amps (or runs at 24V or some that yur power supply cannot take) then yur power supply can provide then may as well just plug into the wall. The big fan thread seems people are using reostates and the like a lot.

I really don't understand the theory behind generating air flow making blowers superior to axial fans for pressure and cfm... Ill read up on that also. Still I am thinking I won't even need outside air with this tt1200tower...

As to results is the Sandra read out acceptable, I dont trust the MBM5 cause it does not list my DFI KT600-AL Socket A KT600 DDR400 Motherboard as a supported board. I have it set for SIS950/ITE8705F-1, whatever that is... Sandra says I have a Model: ITE IT8705/12 ISA temp monitor....

Last edited:
I'm using Speedfan to get my temp readings...My mobo is not supported by MBM 5 either..Have you already purchased the TT HS? Hope you have better luck with it than most..:burn: TT's aren't very strong OC HS, IMHO....See sig of rig below:cool:

* My moneys on the ThermalRight, HS's :rolleyes:

Well..

Ya I got the tt tower1200. Im not planing to OC though (why not just buy a faster processor is how I look at it), money is not an issue with me - I have 6 computers and "six box" [play 6 characters at one time] Everquest heh.... Just the main computer was giving me heat problems the other 5 are XP2000's and doing ok with the swiftechs. Ill load up that program speedfan you mentioned. I note that I will have to keep my tower horizontal instead of vertical with the tower HS cause they work better up and down obviously.

Well lots of AC blowers: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004060921082528&item=16-1237&catname=electric

Heh: http://www.fasco.com/blow2.asp

archilochus said:
Faster processors put out more heat than slower ones...Usually.:)

Not necesarilly true :) Older, larger manufacturing processes produced the same amount of heat if mhz were ran at their full capacity...

Imagine running a P100 at 266 speed?

Yeah...

But the one thing that was worth adding to this thread:

DO NOT BUY THAT ALUMINUM CONVERTOR!!!
It is horrible! I have the 92-80mm and it came with no connecting bolts. I kinna have it shimmied on there with four bolts to the heatsink, and zip-ties holding on the fan. Not a pretty combination... not to mention it scares me..

Find an alternative!

-Frank

Woot!

Ya I bought 7 of them and returned 5 ... I was using plastic zip ties to hold the fan to the converter also lol.... on the swiftech its solid enough, just it dosnt work all that well...

Oh well have work tommorow but saterday might find some time to get the tower112 on.

Back