• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dvd-rw and combo on same IDE probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I just put a PC together and am having some problems.
ASUS M2n-sli deluxe
4600+ x2 AM2
2x1gig corsair pc2 6400
antec neo2 550
Samsung combo drive COMBO SAMSUNG SH-M522C/BEBN BK
Samsung DVD-rw DL SH-S182M/BEBN

I have the 2 drives runing on the single IDE channel provided with the M2N-sli del.

When I first installed the second drive, I had all kinds of problems booting from CD and recognizing both drives. Then I realized that I mis read the the jumper settings like a moron and had either one as CS and one as master, or one as CS and one as slave. Once I de-moroned the jumpers, it would recognize the drives fine, and I could read fine, but could not boot from CD unless it was my winXP CD. My maxtor, seagate and WD diag cd's would not boot from CD. Had to run then from floppy. Figured it had to do with Caldera dos for some reason and the user would just boot from floppy if needed.

Now it is across the country, and he can boot from cd with his windows cdrom, get partway through installation and then after reboot, it will freeze. He has tried 2 cd's.

Is there a problem with either these drives or with 2 drives on the only IDE channel on this board?

i would look into putting the drives on a different ide channel. i had simular unexplained problems when i had a cd drive on the hdd ide channel. make sure that the master is on the top connector on the ide cable.

There is only one IDE channel supplied with this board. Perhaps I'll need an Ide adapter for the PCI slot? I have installed them as cable select, and master and slave. I don't believe it is the problem.

I do not have the problems that you are. I have both on the same channel don't know what jumper settings, and it boots off of all bootable cds. have never seen a problem arise doing it like this.

oh yeah, but if you continue to have probs with your onboard ide, i would go get a cheap-o ide controller and see what happens. the worst that could happen is that you can add more drives lata!

Back