• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8500 safe settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slb785

I only started to overclock this thing last night. Jumped straight up to 4ghz and it ran fine. Then decided to bump it up to 4.5ghz. Stilll running strong. but i have the voltage set at 1.3. Ive only had 2 quad cores that ive been able to overclock and this is my first dual. How high of a vcore can i use if i wanna push this thing further (maybe 5ghz)?

Im using a swiftech h20-220 compact cooler and right now at that vcore temps hit a high of 48C under full load (prime95)

E8500
vid - 1.2125
500x9 4.5ghz

Id like to go further but i just want some info about what im doing just so i can be a little more comfortable doing it

Last edited:
awesome. But how come under system, the pc reads my processor speed at 4.75ghz when the BIOS and CPU-Z both read 4.5ghz?

Nice chip you got there. My e8400 E0 does 4.5 @ 1.464vCore. I don't really feel to comfortable with that high of voltage on my chip, 1.45vCore is really my max as well. It seems to hit at wall at 4.4...only requires 1.34vCore to be stable at 4.4, those extra couple mhz isn't worth it. 4.0 is also stable BELOW stock vCore.

Question if you don't mind me highjacking, in RealTemp, which number is your VID? I get 1.100 and 1.2500

Minimum VID is the Voltage ID when SpeedStep (EIST) is enabled in the BIOS, and Maximum VID is the default Vcc as read by the BIOS (1.25v in your case.)

actually its closer than you think, forgot the update my sig for the new GPUs :)

I was surprised to hit 4.5 so easily. I literally only restarted twice. First time, ah hell ill try 4ghz, set the voltage to 1.3. booted up, awesome works well, prime95 didnt have any errors after 5 mins, go for more. Reboot, go for 4.5ghz, left voltage at 1.3, started windows, stable. 2 reboots and a total of about 10 mins and ive been runnin strong for a couple days now.

I did try for 5ghz and bumped the voltage up to 1.4 but it would post, then freeze before loading windows. Had to clear the CMOS too cause it would freeze before i could get into the BIOS or freeze in the BIOS, which means remove one graphics card AND the sound card :( oh well, 4.5ghz is pretty damn good

Back