• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Edge now available for Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Maybe I'm behind the curve here but I fired up an old Windows 7 laptop I have this morning and "The New Edge" was being offered as an update. Kind of surprised me since Microsoft has killed support for consumer versions of Windows 7. Could extend the useful life of the OS depending on how long Microsoft chooses to keep Edge compatible with the retired OS.

Considering google is now making windows aps more accessible through chrome makes perfect sense. Ever since win10 came out looking like an android clone, I predicted they would eventually merge in a very real sense. Google now wants to use your biometric id as an addition to it's payment schemes. Setting everyone up for the 'digital id' for all plan (for your digital wallet, the real one being empty). I still remember when I installed a version of windows 7 and the boot screen asked me to use my cellular phone # to "make it easier for me" to login. lmao
Edge on 7 is MS's way of getting a win10 feature on 7. And 'feature' I would definitely not call it. The browser is something that cannot be removed in windows or it will not run right. Kinda like what google is doing now with android/chromebooks and the chrome browser itself. You can still remove chrome on droid but on a chromebook? NOPE. It won't run right. lmao
Btw, YOUR biometric id's ARE your securities. Giving them to google's payment plan scheme is a mistake because in essence it's giving up the security itself. Edge? not a chance in hell

Last edited:
Anything for Vista? Firefox is the latest browser to work on Vista but hits you with this on Vista:

https.jpg

Maybe shouldn't be using a long dead operating system online

LoL@EarthDog thanking you!!
You don't have to immediately go to experienced hackers trying to interrupt a little kid wanting to use the old desktop just to listen to Youtube.

What is it about using our knowledge to not waste old hardware that bothers you guys? :)

The kid figured out just to click on where it says
Proceed to www. youtube .com (unsafe)

Unsafe-surelynot.jpg

But the question is, is there a browser that would not make that kid have click on that 10,000 times just to listen to Youtube.
The warning restriction serves no purpose in this particular case. No banking sites are being accessed or any email even, just fricking music, which actually works after the kid is made to jump through the hoop of clicking on
Proceed to www. youtube .com (unsafe)

It might not be the browser at fault here. It probably uses the OS' support to validate security certificates. A long unsupported OS will have an out of date certificate trust record. I don't know if the formats are compatible, it might be possible to extract the latest certs from a newer OS and shoehorn it into Vista. It might also be possible newer formats are used so wouldn't allow that to happen without OS support.

about:config
in Firefox then go to
security.enterprise_roots.enabled

Maybe switch it from "false" to "true"?

For Chrome maybe a shortcut
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" –ignore-certificate-errors.
may fix this. But I don't have access to test, when I do one day I will update this thread...

This forum used to be a place where someone would post a solution like this shortly after you asked. It's still better than most computer forums out there.

I agree with mackeral it is possibly due to the OS root certificates being expired and not matching up to date ones that can cause issues.

Personally I think MS sent out an "update" to break Vista & any browser running on it. We all know it wouldn't be the first time & it won't be the last time either.

People may read your post and shake their heads in disagreement... But here's proof.

Apple and Samsung have today perfected the act of issuing updates which slow down older phones, effectively forcing people to buy newer models. This was proven in court and fines were paid, which were a drop in the bucket compared to profits made. So they have no incentive to stop and every time I get an update nag for my 2017 cell phone, I fear it could be the one that kills it. It's coming, I just don't know when....

In a post on this forum 13+ years ago, I detailed how Microsoft did it.

I have always had multi boot systems allowing me to test and retest stuff like this to prove it beyond doubt.

Here's how they rendered Windows 98 desktop PCs virtually unusable:

https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-memory-*-problem-on-older-machines-Try-this?

To add about how this is real, my old Note 4 is the one I experimented with a long time ago. It was the actual model over which Samsung lost a court battle over and paid fines for, over slowing it down but someone created a program (an app) which nullifies, disables Samsung's slow down effect! Which I've tested then to be real and working. The phone's unrelated hardware problem made it broke down before I could test more but to be clear, Apple is worse, much much worse - so the point is - they all do it.

You can get rid of the automatic update download+installation on Samsung, which is a *huge* deal. I fully expect Microsoft to also do this in 2023 on Windows 10 -- and only because Windows 8 corporate and private customers will not upgrade to Windows 10 in 2023 unless they do -- but Samsung still nags you about not updating - and it's tough to get rod of nags because they are on the system level. So if you don't have a rooted Android with an OS different from Samsung's....

Yeah if you look in the pc's certs you'll find a lot of out of date certs from ms, google etc.. Funny how that is when they are supposed to be THE security itself. Makes me not trust any of them when the one's on the pc itself can't be trusted.
In my browsers I always disable those and any others I don't trust. The certificate game is just that. Easy to issue but not to trust. LetsEncrypt I do trust and only recently seeing them issued on a wide scale. Edge? not a chance in hell do I trust that browser.

Just curious about the Edge update, I take it this will remove IE from my system right??

Does edge have a mode that can run without add-ons like IE at all ??

Edge doesn't remove IE, it is to replace old UWP Edge browser on Win10/etc. On Win7 it's just another chromium-based browser

IE is still found in Windows 10 in fact. Is Microsoft still supporting IE now that Windows 7 extended support has expired? Just wondering why they still include it in Windows 10.
Likely specifically for business customers that have software that only works on IE.

That said I believe they announced IEs official removal for 2021 or 2022

What kind of software do you speak of that only works on IE. I know that can be an issue with the OS but wasn't aware it could also be an issue with browsers. Do you mean like plugins and extensiions?

Trents, one example I can give you is Watch DirecTV's site. I have never been able to get it to work (stream TV) in Chrome, but it works in IE. Horrible site, even when it is working.

I think it is more of a Flash problem though. If Chrome would let me use Flash, the player would probably work.

What kind of software do you speak of that only works on IE. I know that can be an issue with the OS but wasn't aware it could also be an issue with browsers. Do you mean like plugins and extensiions?
There's some specific websites that only appear to work properly in IE. At my old place of business there were ActiveX controls that were required and didn't work elsewhere. I now work at a college and there's a couple education applications or websites that work only on or at least better in IE for whatever reason

Back