• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Emerging Sub-Notebook Market

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Another market strategy for these notebooks could be what cell phones are now. You get the laptop for free if you agree to sign up for Internet connectivity.

An ISP + computer manufacterer could make a decent amount off that maybe? It will probably be viable in 5-10 years when production costs are so low on these notebooks they are almost disposable (kind of like cell phones are now).

Another market strategy for these notebooks could be what cell phones are now. You get the laptop for free if you agree to sign up for Internet connectivity.

An ISP + computer manufacterer could make a decent amount off that maybe? It will probably be viable in 5-10 years when production costs are so low on these notebooks they are almost disposable (kind of like cell phones are now).

highly possible imo, but maybe wont happen till intel includes all on one chip. at 32nm or smaller it may cost them the same amount as the atom cpu does at 45nm. just another wait and see segment but i dont see the atom cpu leaving.

I'm glad to see someone openly competing with intel's atom. Definitely good news for the industry.

I'm glad to see someone openly competing with intel's atom. Definitely good news for the industry.

i wouldnt really call that competion per say.... based on that atom is for low power the Nano isnt as low power as i was hoping. nano will compete with atom in the low cost pc segment. Nano will not be able to compete in the MID segment. Look at its TDP, 25watts for nano vs 4watts for the "mitx" atom i have or even 2.5watts for the MSI wind or Asus EEEpc 901's/1000's. still its nice to see some competion but for Nano to get into a MID or "MSI WIND" type segment the clock speed would need to be lowered alot to get heat down. being prolly 1ghz or lower just to reach a 5watt TDP, would make atom a better then nano at that low speed.

So the Dell mini Inspiron comes out Thursday. Supposedly its only $399. I'm really looking forward to some hands on reviews of this subnote.

Back