• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enabling HSA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You do not enable HSA. Applications written to take advantage of HSA are to be written as time passes.

Leveraging HSA shouldn't have the long adoption curve of multi-core CPUs, which were difficult to fully utilize, or GPGPU computing, which was only possible through low-level APIs for quite a while. Instead, the company’s HSA features map to OpenCL 2.0, ratified late last year.

We only expect to be on-hold for months before software starts showing up written for OpenCL 2.0. When that happens, AMD’s HSA features should augment performance and power consumption in different ways.

AMD does not have a full OpenCL 2.0 driver yet, Oh wait, maybe there is a preview.

For Windows 8.1 only it says of the test beta driver.
OpenCL™ 2.0 Functionality Preview — Download a preview driver that gives you an early glimpse of the Shared Virtual Memory and Platform Atomics functionality of the recently ratified OpenCL™ 2.0 spec.
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/opencl-1-2-beta-driver/

RGone...

No HSA software yet?

You do not enable HSA. Applications written to take advantage of HSA are to be written as time passes.

Leveraging HSA shouldn't have the long adoption curve of multi-core CPUs, which were difficult to fully utilize, or GPGPU computing, which was only possible through low-level APIs for quite a while. Instead, the company’s HSA features map to OpenCL 2.0, ratified late last year.

We only expect to be on-hold for months before software starts showing up written for OpenCL 2.0. When that happens, AMD’s HSA features should augment performance and power consumption in different ways.

AMD does not have a full OpenCL 2.0 driver yet, Oh wait, maybe there is a preview.

For Windows 8.1 only it says of the test beta driver.
OpenCL™ 2.0 Functionality Preview — Download a preview driver that gives you an early glimpse of the Shared Virtual Memory and Platform Atomics functionality of the recently ratified OpenCL™ 2.0 spec.
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/opencl-1-2-beta-driver/

RGone...

I see.. soo as of date there is no known HSA enabled software implemented?

I bought Kaveri for HSA.. just wanted to try it out because I am a fan of GPGPU.. too bad...:(

Guess I have to wait until late 2014

Me thinks all will wait until AMD catches up as well as software developers. And if that beta driver is for Win 8.1 only, it is possible that HSA will come into being only on the latest M$ software.

Linux however may already be using HSA from what I have read.
RGone...

So it's possible that Win7 wont be part of HSA implementions yes??? :(

I have no idea and so far no one knows that is saying. I thought it very interesting that the beta driver just released by AMD said: Win 8.1. Win8 and I think Win 8.1 both already have some code that is supposed to lend itself to the general idea of HSA.

Frankly AMD has been in hype mode for so long that until I see it...only then is it a given.

This writeup is of March this year and not something in the distant past. It is a good read and it is all that most know to date. Well unless you are actually a programmer in a sitution that is interested in HSA.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-opencl-driver-hsa,26194.html
With Kaveri, AMD facilitates true HSA-capable hardware for the first time. But as with all hardware, it's only as good as the software that supports it. And software support requires investment from developers. This is the giant hurdle that AMD needs to overcome before the benefits of HSA can be realized. If heterogeneous devices are the cart, then a commitment from the development community is the horse.

RGone...ster.

Back