• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ennote about LCD mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I have recently seen a ton of people sugesting LCD mods and stuff. I have also seen a general comon responce, it's hard, costly, and not very simple. most people give up. I would just like to say for all those who might be thinknig about it, it is so heavily discussed that a simple searchg of the forums can find all the infor you need. if you just want a LCD to show temps you need a special ship, and even that may nto work. the only way to use one is one pre fabricated for that purpose. and as for cell phone, TI calculators, and laptop LCDs. jsut forget it, it's not worth the effort. endeth my rant.

I have a few working laptop LCD screens laying around and when I get the time I will try making them VGA compatable...if I suceed I will post in progress pics, howtos and other stuff.. (for being used as a compact monitor NOT a temp displaying device)

EarthLCD does make controllers that they claim are compatible with most laptop LCDs... and i suppose if you have a whole laptop you could probably grab the controller and vga stuffs and build it into a case for your use(s)... but i have to agree it is definetely too costly to shell out $200 or even 300 to get a small screen to display temperatures and such.

Is_907 said:
EarthLCD does make controllers that they claim are compatible with most laptop LCDs... and i suppose if you have a whole laptop you could probably grab the controller and vga stuffs and build it into a case for your use(s)... but i have to agree it is definetely too costly to shell out $200 or even 300 to get a small screen to display temperatures and such.

my screens are 10.1" and 12.1" are working perfectly and costed me 10 bucks each =D

The 4-6" LCD's that are NTFS ready aren't to expensive. Maybe 100 bucks. I picked up a 5" for 80 dollars and run it off of my AIW card. It worked out well, and wasnt to expensive or hard.

heh, i still think 100$ is too much for a 6" screen that only displays system info =)

however it would be worth the investment to take a laptop lcd and match it up with a good controller if you needed to fit an LCD monitor into a small box or attempting to build your own laptop... other than that i don't think the end result is worth the $$$ =)

Back