• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ePower PumaII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, everything in my signature minus the 9600xt and plus a 6800gs and a 120mm led fan. I plan on overclocking all of this once I get ample cooling

I don't get the reasoning behind the dual rails; is the 12v1 for the processor and the 12v2 for the video card or something? How much current should be running through each? My motherboard has a 20-pin power connection, but that PSU says it has a 24-pin connector, is that okay?

12v2 is processor. 12v1 is for everything else.

Most PSU's will be a 20+4, where the extra 4 pins are detachable. The Epower is a 20+4.

The EPower is a Topower rebadge. That looks like the Topower P4 design. Not bad but not the best in terms of cross loading. About the same as OCZ Modstream quality.

It shouldn't have any issues with your current system.

Thanks for the reply. What about the FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP400-60THN-R 400W, would that be a better choice, even though it has 50 less watts and is $20 more?

The Fortron has better build quality. I owned that exact same unit before, and was very satisfied with it. It powered my Prescott pretty well and would work with your current config. I wouldn't use to power much more though, especially a Prescott overclocked, it won't handle it. In that case, I'd recommend the EPower instead.

It should handle your Northwood no problem but it will be limiting if you decide to upgrade to a newer P4. If you're waiting for the next gen Intel that should be lower on power consumption, it may work just fine for that.

What is your budget for a PSU?

I don't plan on upgrading my cpu anytime soon, I want to try to the get the most out of my northwood first. The top of my budget for a psu is probably this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104934. But according to the calculator I only need about 300W of power with a overclocked cpu (not sure if an overclocked video card is taken into account). So I would go with the 400W, unless its absolutely necessary.

Back