• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

etching large open space???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zim2411

I want to etch in the Irken logo into my window, and be pretty big. About the size of it printed on a piece of paper. But i have to etch in a big open space then.
Is there any easy way to do this??

BTW, overclockers should and a N00b Modders section.

It's easy. You just need patience. The best way to etch windows is to sandblast....but not everyone has access to that, heh.

I had a similar situation.....my window etching is the AMD symbol blown up to about 7" each side.....lots of area. I used the 1/8" etching bit for my Dremel...it took a bit of work, but I got it.

All you really need is patience.....just don't zone out while filling out the large areas, or else you might not realize how close the edge is, and you will color outside the lines, hehe.

edit:

oh ya, and this section is for n00b modders. It's for questions, answers, and showing off new case mods. If you have a question about modding, no matter how simple you think it may be, don't be afraid to ask.

thx, but wont using the dremel bit make gooves? lots and lots of grooves?

Do you know what you going to use, I got a fairly big window and want to do some etching think it will look sweet.
If its a real tricky job might get it done professionally.
But then again I like to mess around on my own.

PS what tools do you use and how much do they cost.

About the Dremel: They make a special bit for etching that won't leave grooves if you don't apply a lot of pressure. But it is better suited for small work.

Have you considered renting an exterior sandblaster for a few hours? They are very easy to use and wouldn't make very much mess for a job that small. (They are normally used to strip paint from houses.) You might want to call around and see how much one would cost.

Another option is to pick up an acid etching kit. These use an acidic gel solution to give a sandblasted finish on glass. But I don't know how Lexan or plexi would react.

BHD

btw, yes the dremel does leave grooves. But, they're only visible if you look close. from about 3 feet away, it looks fine. I only did that because it was my only option, heh.

And if you can rent a sandblaster, that's the best option. Well, there's also laser etching.....someone posted an online site that can do custom laser etching. Looks REAL nice as it can do varying degrees of opacity, giving it a shaded effect, allowing for entire scenes to be created...heh.

I used a burnishing sponge on my last one. I cut a small cube off of the fine grit side.

I used the dremel to go around the edges, then I did the rest with the burnishing spong scrap.
You have to used circular motions though, otherwise you'll just make chickenscratches.

Sandblasting would be preferable though. Even though it would require cutting the shape out of something else to use as a stencil.

Zim2411 said:
What about just sanding it?

That'll work too, but you just have to be very careful. It'll also be kind of hard to keep the etching uniform. I was going to suggest making a a stencil out of self adhesive shelf paper, to cover up the parts you dont want etched. Then rub the plexi with ordinary sand.

I found a bit that etches but doesn't leave grooves so ill use that one.

I cant find the bit on Dremel's site.
This is the closest related bit, i think: http://dremel.com/html/home_fr.html
The link doesn't take you directly to the bit. Tools and accerories - Rotary tool bits - Carving/Engraving - Bit number 9934

And i have the Multipurpose Cutter Attachment, which lets my adjust the height, so im gunna use that

Last edited:
BaldHeadedDork said:
Another option is to pick up an acid etching kit. These use an acidic gel solution to give a sandblasted finish on glass. But I don't know how Lexan or plexi would react.
BHD

I believe Lexan or Plexi would not react to the acid:eek:
(although since this is a jell there are other chemical in it)
The acid used to etch Glass is Hydrofluoric Acid.:D

Plastics are usually resistant to Hydrofluoric Acid.
Hydrofluoric Acid can not be kept in a glass bottle but it is kept in a plastic one. I know it can be kept in HDPE (High Density PolyPropylene) AKA Plastic milk jug (the opaque white ones).

Back