• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 970 GTX SC and Water cooling 620 Antec

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isogamer

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...2&cm_re=970_gtx_sc-_-1FT-001K-00002-_-Product

Hi, so i am going to water cool my 970 GTX SC, and just wanted to know if the steps that i am going to go through with is proper?

The method i am going to use to watercool my 970gtx is going to be a little bit crude, but it should work since i did this with my 760gtx card in the past, which worked fine and got some good results.

This is the method i am speaking of: http://www.overclock.net/t/1203528/official-nvidia-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-mod

As you can see in that link it is a zip tie method. I just wanted to know what i am doing is okay for my 970gtx? Since this is more of a powerful card VS my past 760gtx card the process i am going to go through with is okay?
In the past i just added a 80mm fan on top of where the video memory is on the 760gtx card that i use to have to cool the VM and it seem to be working fine. Just wanted to know if i use the same process and if thats okay if i do the same with my 970gtx 4gb card?

I don't see why not... Your 970 uses a hair less power than the GTX 760, so...................... should be fine.

I don't see a point in doing so though unless you are modifying the bios. YOu will hit the power limit before you are temperature limited in many cases.

I don't see why not... Your 970 uses a hair less power than the GTX 760, so...................... should be fine.

I don't see a point in doing so though unless you are modifying the bios. YOu will hit the power limit before you are temperature limited in many cases.

HEY, thanks for the quick response. Well i am not going to modify my GPU through bios since that may break the warranty, since i have about 2 years of warranty left on it. The main reason why i just want to water cool my GPU is because i am not sure if you read about the version of GPU that i have from EVGA? Where the thermal paste is only touching 2 of the heat pipes not the 3rd one.

http://www.eteknix.com/evga-respond-possible-design-flaw-gtx-970-acx/

I am not sure if i have the same issue since i haven't removed the stock cooler yet, but after about 2months since my purchase of this 970gtx i haven't been having any issues. On load i am getting about 55c to 60c with 48% fan speed, and with about 20% fan speed on idle i am getting about 35c.

I have my 620 antec cooling just lying around so why not use it? My main concern is the video memory. Am i okay just putting a 80mm fan where the video memory and cooling it that way?

Temps are just fine. That card doesn't start to throttle clocks until 83C.

Most time vRAM isn't cooled in the first place, so yes, a fan blowing directly down on them is fine.

What you should be concerned about when 'rigging' any GPU is the VRM area. Those should have little heatsinks on them or you risk throttling from those.

I love this , Agree with EarthDog though, need some sinks and air flow on the VRM's

Ya my main concern is just cooling the video memory for my GPU. Since it looks like the stock cooler is touching the video memory area.

Your main concern should be the VRM area, not the vRAM. ;)

yes sorry, the VRM area is what i ment. So as long i have a fan blowing on it i should be fine? And the fan should be below i guess since the VRM isn't on top of my GPU. I have already a 120mm fan on the bottom of my case blowing out so i should be okay since by GPU is right above it.

As I said above, you would want to get some heatsinks on the VRM area. The fan which is blowing on the memory would also cool the VRM area.

I think the mod is great when there weren't any other options but now you can purchase a nice AIO bracket + fan cooler and have the AIO installed on it. I know NZXT and Corsair makes one. It does seem the NZXT version is more compatible with many AIOs and GPUs whereas Corsair seems to be compatible with their own AIOs only and their brackets aren't universal on all GPUs either.

Capture.JPG

Kraken G10

As I said above, you would want to get some heatsinks on the VRM area. The fan which is blowing on the memory would also cool the VRM area.

Hey those mosfets are going to take some time to get here to my location. What if i just went ahead with the water cooling i suggested with out adding those heatsinks to my Vrm? Should i still be okay?

Do the vrms on that card already have heatsinks on them? If so, you won't have buy those... better can never hurt either way.

Edit: It looks like the cooler, a heatpipe, touches it directly so you need something, yep.

Last edited:
Do the vrms on that card already have heatsinks on them? If so, you won't have buy those... better can never hurt either way.

Edit: It looks like the cooler, a heatpipe, touches it directly so you need something, yep.

Decided to look for my 760gtx and this is what i found.

In the pics you will see from what i understand the VRM section coming with its own heatsink, but is that also the VRM or just the VideoMemory thats around the GPU? Cause if the VRM was only getting cooled then my video memory wasn't getting proper cooling? Although at the time i had some fans blowing onto it. The 760GTX at the time was setup this way with my antec 620 cooling it. I was wondering if i can use the same heatsink for my 970gtx but thats if it has two holes on the side like this 760gtx.

4-1C143CEE-518159-800.jpg 4-8AD68E63-1126748-800.jpg IMAG0127.jpg

Back