• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED EVGA Untouchables Released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK... So all this talk has me researching stuff this morning...

How do the EVGA MoBo's stack up against the best offerings from Asus and Gigabyte?

Like I said.. I've never really considered EVGA as a viable option for extreme OC / Benching... But if guys like TiN and Kingpin are influencing whats going on at EVGA... Maybe thats been an error on my part.

Opinions?

Thinking about giving their X79 board a try instead of the RIVE I've been eyballing...

Bought an EVBot.
Bought an Untouchables.

I know nothing of their modern boards.
Their P55 FTW was a chip killer.
Their X58 boards were great after mods, but tended to coldbug at -60c or so without mods.
Their 1155 boards can match GBT in 3d01 efficiency, I don't know anything else.
Their 2011 board I know nothing about, or whether it even exists yet.

If you do review this it would be nice if it was done on a card that was already benches so you can say if it raised what you could do with a given card.

That's my plan. I have an 8600gs(16sp) and a 8800gts320mb that are getting nervous about this purchase. Both of them are already voltmodded.

How do the EVGA MoBo's stack up against the best offerings from Asus and Gigabyte?

They hit the extreme market with the x58 Classified (Shammy). Awesome board. Other than that everything else has been so-so. Haven't tried any of their 2011 stuff yet.

The X79 FTW is GOING to be a great board, when it gets the issues ironed out... article will be published shortly after that happens. ;)

Order shipped via UPS, tracking hasn't updated yet though so I don't know when to expect it.

That's insanely cool. I've heard of voltage mods before but this is several levels above that. I'm way out of my league in this thread.

Box arrived today, so here's a quick preview of what is to come!
And by quick preview, I mean about a third of the pictures likely to be in the review.

Untouchables-box-top.jpg
Untouchables-box-seal.jpg
Untouchables-box-open.jpg

Untouchables-overview-top.jpg
Untouchables-overview-bottom.jpg
Untouchables-partially-exposed-MOSFET.jpg
Interesting cooling setup, there's a heatspeader that contacts the actual MOSFETs (or whatever they are) and then the heatsink then contacts the heatspreader. You can see the heatspeader sticking out in the above picture.

Main brain:
Untouchables-brains-primary.jpg

Secondary brain:
Untouchables-brains-secondary.jpg

A size comparison of the first two GPUs it'll be powering, a 4650 DDR2 (first pic) and a 8600-16sp (second pic).
Untouchables-and-4650DDR2.jpg
Untouchables-and-8600gs(16sp).jpg

Three I think, first one went well for a bit then artifacted horribly.
It got the oven treatment and then a second round, where I discovered that the artifacting was due to the memory coldbugging, which cut that run short (adjusting temps on DIce = not fun).
Give it a quick test on air on the stock cooler and found that it'll run a top5 type OC on the stock cooler. This is good, as the bios is set to POST/boot at those clocks :p

That is the exact same 4650 that I have. Except the fan died on mine and I replaced the heatsink with a zalman.
The untouchables is very cool. As a package, with the evga display/control it looks to be a nice setup.It will be interesting to see the results.

I have been thinking that my dead 5870 lightning may be revived as a zombie. My problem would be controlling the voltages...

Fan died on this one too, I brought it back to life so it's just noisy, enough to test vmods RQ.

Back