• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N mobo less than half MSRP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I've been keeping an eye on evga boards myself and noticed the Z690 Dark KP board on newegg for only $319.99. Amazing board for 12th and 13th gen, and EVGA has dropped comments on their forums that they will have a BIOS for 14th gen for it, but take that with a grain of salt....

Things like Z790 Classified have promos too, $200 cut.

Some guys were running Z690 Dark KP with RAM at 8000, so it's still a good option. As long as EVGA will be alive in a couple of months, then there is a chance of a BIOS for the 14th gen CPUs. Somehow these sales don't look good :(

I've heard the Z690 Dark KP can OC memory better than the Z790 boards, but that was before the latest bios.

EVGA has no products available, AT ALL, in their web store. They have B-Stock, but even b-stock prices were cut in half a month ago. I think they are trying to push all inventory with the insane discounting that has been happening. I'm hoping that they follow through with the 14th gen bios claims they have made, because......

My wife got me a Z790 Dark KP board for my birthday when it was on sale for $299.99 a few weeks ago. Apparently she saw me eyeballing and comparing it to what I have and wanted to surprise me.

I have that board on the bench right now for some hardware testing and pre-loaded a new m.2. Not sure when I'll drop the board in my main rig, as I just serviced the loop early last week....

I wanted Z690 Dark KP, but it was released with a huge delay and it was never available in the EU, while the US store didn't want to send it. Later I was thinking about Z790 Dark KP but back then it cost $800+ and wasn't even available in the EU (what a surprise). EVGA didn't want to send it for review, or any other mobo, so in the end I got ASUS Apex, which cost significantly less and I can't complain. I'm using it mainly for memory reviews.

There are barely any enthusiast/overclockers series. EVGA is not available anymore, so it's a last chance to grab it on sale, ASUS has its Apex which is already hard to get and was unavailable for maybe 4 months. Gigabyte has Tachyon, which is unavailable in the EU (both AMD and Intel). MSI has nothing. Their Unify/Unify-X was pretty bad in memory OC and they didn't release Z790 or AM5 version. ASRock has nothing too as their Aqua or OCF series were not released for the lastest CPUs, and other series are quite disappointing.

Sad to say it but it seems the enthusiast lines that people like us want must be such a small market share that companies are giving up on them. I think we are a dying breed guys.

I wanted this board when I built my most recent machine but at $800 no thanks. Now with evga clearly leaving the hardware market I would be hesitant to buy any of their stuff because of lack of support.

eVGA is out of stock on all their power supplies now, too. They're showing ATX 3.0 units coming in their news posts, so many they're just clearing out and gearing up for new ones. I hope they stick around....

I don't think EVGA will be in the tech categories they are currently in, in the next year or two. I have only used EVGA GPUs since 2004, and the Z690 Classified was my first EVGA motherboard (wanted Z790 for the OC headroom and beefier power stage).

I don't think I can comfortably purchase another EVGA product in the future, knowing Vince is gone, GPUs are done, and PSU quality has declined over the years. I suppose their mice and keyboards could be decent for some of my kid's builds down the road, but I don't see that as a means to keep their company alive.

Here's to hoping for a 14th gen BIOS!

It's news to me that their power supplies have declined. As far as I'm aware their midrange and higher are all still excellent.

It's news to me that their power supplies have declined. As far as I'm aware their midrange and higher are all still excellent.
My Seasonic Prime GX-750 could not handle this system with my EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3.. but this base model Gold from EVGA was able to drive it no problem. That GX-750 is running a stock 3070 Ti right now with a clocked 5600X with no trouble.. yet.

I know they changed OEM's... but the Platinum and Titanium lines are still high-quality units. It's their bronze that was notably MEH and has gotten worse over time.

Sad to say it but it seems the enthusiast lines that people like us want must be such a small market share that companies are giving up on them. I think we are a dying breed guys.

I remember when overclocking motherboards were only a few hundred dollars. Heck, back in the early aughts (2000s) you could build a ripping system for less than the MSRP of that Kingpin.

Also back then we were achieving 50-75% overclock with ease. Now we're lucky to get 10%. Less people are looking at overclocking as a viable way to save money and boost performance nowadays.

We are the last of a dieing breed gents.

Its been a pleasure :salute:

We ruined it for everyone.. this overclocking thing was supposed to be a secret.. until it became so mainstream, people pay the prices we do..

Good ol' NF7-S. Stick a heatsink on the southbridge with some BH-5 and clock it to the limits. Yea I miss those days for sure.
Yeah, and I sold my NF7-S to a 20 year old who seemed pretty excited, so I think he knew what he was getting. I figured I had my fun with it and it was time to pass the torch on to another...

I know they changed OEM's... but the Platinum and Titanium lines are still high-quality units. It's their bronze that was notably MEH and has gotten worse over time.
I used to use their mid tier units exclusively for work, and it seems I have had them dying off sooner than expected and had to return two or three over the last year. I'm not feeling too confident with these results...

Less people are looking at overclocking as a viable way to save money and boost performance nowadays.
Agreed. The sentence before this passage is the nail in the coffin. There simply isn't headroom anymore. You can't buy two SKUs down the product stack and overclock it to flagship sspeeds. These chips are tapped out by default.

I used to use their mid tier units exclusively for work, and it seems I have had them dying off sooner than expected and had to return two or three over the last year. I'm not feeling too confident with these results...
Can't help bad luck... ;)

PS - I have a z690 classified and z790 kingpin laying around collecting dust... happy to put it up FS if there's interest. Message me.

Last edited:
Good ol' NF7-S. Stick a heatsink on the southbridge with some BH-5 and clock it to the limits. Yea I miss those days for sure.

It's sometimes funny to see how all remember how great were Abit, DFI, or Epox mobos ... somehow no one mentions how high was RMA rate back then. I was working in distribution and we had whole walls of mobo boxes prepared for RMA ;)

I remember RMA-ing several Abit socket A boards, and hearing about issues with DFI. I never used EPOX, and barely remember them

For me, "High Performance" motherboards were not good until the 775 era. I did kill my Soyo Dragon, Abit NF7-S, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Asus A8N whatever the top end was. And many pairs of DDR2.. pretty sure those were suicide, maybe I taunted into doing it not sure. 1 for sure was my fault.. but they were OCZ, so they would have died anyways.

I had good luck from 775 to 1366. I had 1 1155 suicide, and 1 AM4 death. Not sure if it was me or suicide. Gotta send it out. Love that board.. she is missed.

For me, "High Performance" motherboards were not good until the 775 era. I did kill my Soyo Dragon, Abit NF7-S, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Asus A8N whatever the top end was. And many pairs of DDR2.. pretty sure those were suicide, maybe I taunted into doing it not sure. 1 for sure was my fault.. but they were OCZ, so they would have died anyways.

I had good luck from 775 to 1366. I had 1 1155 suicide, and 1 AM4 death. Not sure if it was me or suicide. Gotta send it out. Love that board.. she is missed.

I guess even later, as if I'm right, 775 was the first socket/generation with lead-free solder (sometime in the middle of its life, and it was quite long). Socket 775 mobos had some design flaws. It was the first socket that was burning or was too fragile - some batches of some brands, like the first Foxconn vs Lotes LGA fight, and which one to buy. Biostar had top RAM/FSB overclocking mobos, but the power section for RAM was dying at higher voltages (the same as some models from other brands). Their P45 motherboards were good for 3-4 months of benching, and then it was time for RMA. I had 3 or 4 of them, as they were cheap and were overclocking well. You couldn't even buy a 2nd hand Biostar mobo as all were dead after a couple of months of overclocking and regular users were not buying them. MSI back then had VRM problems, and it was a long list of failures until X79. ASRock had nothing except for the budget series.
I feel like the only good LGA775 ones were Gigabyte P35/45/X48 and the top ASUS mobos, as they were manufactured in a "better" factory and were somehow of higher quality.

From good series that are still alive, I remember higher ASUS P3/P4 series, ASUS/Gigabyte 775, ASUS/ASRock X99/299, and ASUS/ASRock/MSI Z77/87/97/490/590. No matter what generation, there are always good ASUS mobos, but mainly from the ROG series. I'm not talking about single failed models (like APEX Z690), but you can always remember a top mobo from each generation, and usually it's ASUS. I dislike their internal policies, how support often acts, and some more, but it's hard to pick any other brand that keeps their enthusiast series at the highest level for so many years.
EVGA has a great design but usually fails BIOS or has some weird compatibility issues. The last 2-3 series were pretty good, and BIOS was also not bad. If they disappear from the market, then you will hear legends about them, the same as about Abit or DFI. I have X299 Dark, but for some reason, 2-3 CPU socket pins are bent. It works fine, but it's still weird as when I bought the mobo, I installed the CPU once, and it was working like that for over a year. Later I removed it for delidding, and I noticed the bent pins. I'm sure it was fine before. It sometimes happens with LGA sockets. A lot of cases like this were in some Z590/690 series. MSI is still leaving a sticker not to overtighten liquid cooler screws. ASUS was rejecting RMA because of that saying it's user's fault.

Back