• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extra money in my budget, possibly a RAM upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

After doing some maths I found out I will have some extra money. I have upgraded a few things already like the case and PSU and plan to go under after I get my rig setup and my money comes in. So with that I was wondering if a RAM upgrade would be helpful in any way or possibly just getting nicer looking RAM? I was looking at the Corsair Dominator Platinum series but with my red/black theme I am not sure how that would look in my case. So i decided to come to you guys to see if a RAM upgrade would be a good idea and if so maybe which RAM I should look into? I will only be using the 212 EVO until I get my rig under so I won't really have to worry about RAM being too tall or anything.

Also considering Dominator GT.

Last edited:
You could look at faster ram but honestly with the IMC on that CPU you can probably push your 1600 well into the 2xxx range without issue. More ram probably wont make a difference either.

What you might look at is upgrading to a blueray drive instead of a DVD, it wont make your system any faster but it opens up media options/future proofing in that area.

...and on that same theme, look at the things you use to interface with your computer. That includes monitors, mice, keyboards, headsets. They make a big difference and are upgrades I often overlook when looking at component specs. Good luck. :)

...and on that same theme, look at the things you use to interface with your computer. That includes monitors, mice, keyboards, headsets. They make a big difference and are upgrades I often overlook when looking at component specs. Good luck. :)

+1. A great mouse or keyboard is going to make more of a difference than faster RAM.

I LOVE my Logitech MX Revolution Bluteooth KBD+Mouse. The 12 function mouse seems rediculous at first, but once you figure out how to program the buttons per application it becomes extremely useful. I can play Diablo 3 without ever touching my keyboard and still have all of my skills, and items available all the time. Plus the keyboard had lots of features(keystroke counter, streaming media info, calculator, etc) and an extremely fast buffer, which really makes a difference for me being a programmer who also types very fast.

How does that stack up against the K90? "I LOVE my Logitech MX Revolution Bluteooth KBD+Mouse. The 12 function mouse seems rediculous at first, but once you figure out how to program the buttons per application it becomes extremely useful. I can play Diablo 3 without ever touching my keyboard and still have all of my skills, and items available all the time. Plus the keyboard had lots of features(keystroke counter, streaming media info, calculator, etc) and an extremely fast buffer, which really makes a difference for me being a programmer who also types very fast."

Im not sure, I haven't used a mechanical keyboard since the 90's.

This is the MX REVOLUTION.

They are in slightly different leagues from what I can tell. The K90 is a wired mechanical keyboard with limited additional functions. The MX Revolution is a Bluetooth wireless keyboard with tons of extra functions, and a multifunction programmable mouse.

Yeah I already plan on getting myself probably a Ducky mech. keyboard and a Logitech G9X. Still deciding on a monitor and some new speakers for music, but I also have some headphones and a small lapel mic planned. =]

Was looking at the Nixeus 27" which is kind of pricey but it just looks amazing and the stand it's on kind of amazes me. lol Plus it has a few different connections. It seems like a quality monitor even at its price.

Really need some decent speakers for music but haven't really looked too much into them yet.

Back