• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extremely Long BIOS Times

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

C0urtesyC0der

Hey everyone...I just registered here at the forum, but have used open threads for reference for some time.

I was curious if anybody had any suggestions of how to remedy the following situation:

I did a new build from scratch this summer, consisting of a Intel 3770K, 900 watt gold LEPA psu, NVIDIA GTX 680 SC Edition, CoolerMaster HAF912 cooler, 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 memory, an ECS Z77H2-A2X Gold Edition motherboard, 128gb Vertex 4 SSD + 1TB WD Black 7200RPM HDD.

My issue is this: I at first upgraded (if you can call it an upgrade) to Windows 8 Pro in the beginning of December. When I did so, the boot times were amazing (around 7 seconds or less). However, I had not yet updated the BIOS for the motherboard, as ECS had not yet released them for my model. When the drivers came out, I flashed the BIOS with no problems successfully. However, since doing so, I have an extremely long pause at the BIOS screen (according to the performance monitor it was 90.8 seconds at last boot), which clearly indicates something is wrong booting from an SSD.

Here is a link to the drivers page (Deluxe 1.0 Version Drivers).
http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Do...r_Detail.aspx?MenuID=61&LanID=0&detailid=1325

I know the BIOS version is correct, and I am using the proper XMP profiles for ram, etc. However, the only issue is the long boot. Does anybody have experience with this board and could render some aid? I have went in and disabled many most of the startup programs, so that shouldn't be the issue. The only was I can access the BIOS, however, is to jump the CMOS_Clear switch and start fresh. I tried using UEFI. but it fails to boot into Windows 8 if this is selected in BIOS.

So in order to make changes, I must clear CMOS and start fresh. The only issues I can imagine may cause this is an improper boot order or an improper setting, Any ideas? I regret getting Windows 8 at this point....has produced far more troubles than it was worth.

If there is a BIOS delay, that has nothing to do with Windows, especially if you updated the BIOS and it immediately started having issue. I don't see why you are blaming Windows for this. Can you clarify?

Yes, I believe the problem lies in the updated BIOS provided by ECS, not actually Windows 8. Once I see the windows screen, startup is very fast. However, I believe it has to do with the BIOS settings themselves. For some reason, boot override in the bios is not recognizing my SSD (even though it is visible in the BIOS when I go to the SATA advanced section). Basically there is a list of 7 items in the boot order....first being the 1tb HDD and none being the SSD.

Should boot be done in legacy mode? (this is default for the bios after the flash), but fails to display anything on the screen when changed to UEFI.

I've moved this to the proper forum for you and renamed the thread. This way, you will get better answers.

Back