• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Family Modem (300Mb or 600Mb?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

Hey guys, I was wondering what your opinions are on a modem for my girlfriend's home. Her family is a size of 6 and they currently have a TM822 (343Mb) modem. All of them have a phone and/or laptop each. Her parents want to get off of the rental modem and purchase one for themselves.

The question is a TM822 ($30 on ebay) or Tm1602 ($70 on ebay). They have a 100Mb/s plan and are generally happy with their internet but sometimes experience some slow down on their wifi. They have a NightHawk AC1200 so their router is sufficient.

Let me know your thoughts!

So, the choices are to buy what they have currently or the more costly model, right? Since they have a 100 mbps plan and the tm822 is 343 mbps, might as well save the money and get that. A modem change isnt going to help the wifi unless it's the limiting factor (in this case doesnt appear to be).

Correct. I agree. Even if you split the 343Mbps over two devices per person, they would all be able to download around 28Mbps theoretically...

Correct. I agree. Even if you split the 343Mbps over two devices per person, they would all be able to download around 28Mbps theoretically...

If their plan is 100, then that is the bottle neck. You can have a 300 Mbps or 600 Mbps but you're still only getting 100 Mbps. I would double check what plan they have with the ISP before getting a modem.

Last edited:
Agreed with Don. This isn't a router situation that makes a difference if it is 100mb or gigabit. This is the modem that is limited by your ISP plan. If they plan to ever upgrade to a faster one then get one that is on their official supported list for as fast as they could reasonably upgrade to.

Back